147 Millage - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 16-09-09 Thread Starter
County: Lancashire

Member car:

Help 147 Millage

I really want to buy a 147 but due to my limited budget it looks like im going to have to go for something with lots of millage. I Was just wondering if buying one with about 100k on the clock will be ok or sgould i just give up on the idea and get something better suiting to my budget.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: herts
If you are on a limited budget go careful with whatever you finally decide on.: Reliability is one of my main considerations, plus ease of maintenance, and as little expenditure on running costs as possible.:
AO Silver Member
County: Dorset

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

I had 156 2.4 JTD with 104,000 on it, sold it at 118,000 then I got a 147 1.9 JTD 16v with 96,000 on the clock-its now at 119,000. No major probs with either, had to replace wishbones on both (common on 156s/147s and GTs), discs (both), clutch (147) and some other general wear and tear items, but nothing that wouldnt be expected at these mileages. No engine probs at all.

Its a good way to get a newer car for less-modern cars can easily handle high mileages

Cant speak for petrols though.
AO Member
County: Queensland
Buy on condition rather than mileage. I'd prefer something with high miles that had been very well looked after than a low miler that'd been neglected.

The upshot for you is resale is more closely tied to mileage than condition.
AO Gold Member
County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

Mk 2 Focus RS

Whats the budget?. I got my 147 just over a year ago for 2800 with cambelt change, service and years MOT. Its a Y reg and had done 50,000 so low compared to the newer 147's i was looking at and they were mostly75,000 miles upwards its. Ive only done 4000 miles in it after a year as i only really use it at weekends so i wasn't too fussed if the milage was higher as long as the car had been looked after but the 1 i bought was too good to miss and i had to buy it
AO Member
County: West Midlands
Diesel yes, as the JTD are solid engines. My 1.9 JTD 147 has just hit 100k and the engine feels solid! Wishbones and alternator have been changed in the last month though!

Twin Spark is a bit more hit and miss especially if previous owners have not toppped the oil up properly. My 1.8TS 156 had 140k when I sold it last year....had an engine rebuild at 120k though due to hairline scratch in 1 piston...

Get one for 1k and your laughing...
AO Gold Member
If a twin spark has been properly looked after, topped up with oil and never had a snapped belt, after about 40,000 miles, its just going to wear gradually, and the unit is proven to take 200,000 miles.

You will spend more on suspension on a high miler than the engine and transmission.

Above average mileage also indictes more motorway use, so less wear on clutch and steering components than a city runabout.
AO Member
County: Derbyshire

Member car:

As other poeple have said 100k + is certainly no problems for the diesel, I have a 156 that has just gone over the 100k mark. As for the petrols my experience only extends to the wifes 147 currently around 70k, been trouble free so far. You are likley to need to replace the front upper wishbones (but this can need doing at quite low milages aswell). As I found out there is always the potential for the clutch to need replacing.

If you buy on condition, have a look at a few and are prepared to accept the colour combination that comes with the car in best condition and don't let things like the spec sway your choice too much then there is no reason why you can't get a decent high milage car.
What is your budget ijm? I have my Alfa 147 1.6 Lusso for sale. 2000 It has done 95,000 Miles. I bought it when it had 50,000 miles on the clock. No major problems with the car. Has full service history, cambelt changed at all the correct intervals. 6 months TAX, 6 Months MOT. Just had new suspension bushes, lower wishbones, and anti roll bar bushes fitted about 2months ago. Clutch has been changed since I have owned the car, and so have the upper wishbones. The car is listed in the Alfa Romeo For Sale section on the forum if you want more info and pictures. Contact me for any more info james.h.buchanan@btinternet.com or james@collinsdb.co.uk
(Post Link) post #10 of 12 Old 17-09-09 Thread Starter
County: Lancashire

Member car:

Thanks all for the answers. My budget is 2000.

James i would email you fgor more details but my hotmail account is either playing up or been hacked so as soon as i can sort that out i will send you one. Where abouts are you located?

my 156 had 155,000 miles on it when i traded it in, if properly service there is no reason why these cars cant do 400k like all cars really, just check the history!
AO Member
County: Merseyside

Member car:

My twinspark's done 92k runs mint, only knock on n/s/f poss wishbone which req replacing. apart from that cant fault it. Mine's 02 plate cost me 1400 in june and its mint, just bought full light grey leather for it with armrest of ebay comes tuesday.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , millage