Selespeed Intermittent Fault - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 16-09-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Lincolnshire
Selespeed Intermittent Fault

Hello All! Great Forum Here , much help and reassurance gained already. I have recently purchased a 156 Sele with 83k and fsh. Drove it back nearly 200 miles with no problems. Since then have had strange happenings with the sele display.
In city mode, it displays 4th gear for instance but remains in second and won't change up. Occasionally it has beeped and flashed up 'Reverse' whilst still travelling forwards in 4th.

In semi mode, step through one to two is good but then whilst in 2 the readout shows '4'. in order to change up to '3' using '-' will shift 'up'. However this is intermittent.

The only association is when I washed the car on Sunday, water may have ingressed the senders/sensors causing an electrical onflict which confuses the poor old sele unit. Its almost like an engine version of Windows 95!!

Booked in for diag next week at local indie with proper box. Have read about the advice on the contacts and cleaning etc. Would a gearbox oil change do any good in addition?

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: North East
Selespeeds can be scary but once you are familiar with them you can get a littly comfy even when the thing flashes on your display...

Warning though... Your garage may tell you your actuator (selespeed unit) is kaput, which may or may not be true. Atleast he's got a proper diagnostics tool. Get the error codes also.

Make sure the oil is at the correct level also. Advice to try: if it happens to be in 2 and yet it say 4, you may want to change down in order to get into 3 (logic). As the system thinks its on 4 only changing down will take it to 3 even though in actual fact it will be changing from 2 to 3. There is plenty of info in here re: selespeed, so don't be alarmed...
AO Gold Member
County: Perth and Kinross
Did you wash the engine, or just the bodywork?

I'd give all the connectors a good clean, especially the big 20-way one between the air pipe and the battery, have any errors read (and corrected) then an EOL calibration routine run on it.

While you're at it, get the clutch rod length checked and adjusted to 28.0-28.5mm.

(Post Link) post #4 of 7 Old 16-09-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
Thanks fellas. Didn't wash the engine. Thats a dry cloth and toothbrush job!!! Last service in Jan 09, engineers notes state that clutch rod was set to 28.3mm and selespeed re calib accordingly. Also MOT reapairs in Aug(before I purchased) included new MAF(nice one! I had a passat before with same unit) and another selespeed set up.
With regards to the changing issues, I can get used to it but the CITY mode worries me, one of the main reasons for puchase was the choice and also stop start traffic as I have problems with my left leg and no longer want a clutch car, ever. The Alfa was the best choice. I will clean the contacts as it seems like the right option. Looks quite dusty under the bonnet, even though well maintained
AO Gold Member
sometimes disconnecting connectors and relays and put them on again clears the problems.. wd40 also
does wonders
County: Wiltshire
If this persists after you've cleaned the plugs and the clutchrod has moved again then we are definately looking at a new clutch kit, as the release bearing is faulty.
(Post Link) post #7 of 7 Old 17-09-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
Thanks All. I'll keep you posted! Trip out last night. The light to the 'gear selected' readout was intermittently illuminating then going off again! Electrics!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

fault , intermittent , selespeed