Opinion on the Diesel Tuning box - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 07-09-09 Thread Starter
County: Glasgow

Member car:

Opinion on the Diesel Tuning box

Thinking of having a tuning box added to my 147 JTDM TI, aparently it gives up to 35bhp and same increase in torque. Also a 20% increase in fuel economy and a reduction of C02 emissions. 300?? What I was quoted inclusive of VAT/Labour and of course parts

Any alternatives or better products out there folks?

This is after I get the cambelt/water pump replaced of course for 320 total......What seems to be the general price for this?

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: -
Yes there is an alternative... it is called a remap... and it is a better alternative.
AO Member
County: Kent

Member car:

159 SW Ti

Originally Posted by TribesMan View Post
Yes there is an alternative... it is called a remap... and it is a better alternative.

Better is a relative term..

A remap (in theory) should be better tuned to your engine and more sympathetic to your requirements, however I'm not totally convinced on how "custom" most custom remaps are. There is a temptation surely to think that "this map worked in the last 14 JTD's, it should work on this one", and not take into account driving style, current & planned mileage, service schedule etc. This shouldn't be the case with most "reputable" tuners listed on these forums but after reading through a couple of hundred posts by owners with re-maps, there is only one or two guys on here I think really put (IMHO) the required effort into analysing each engine (and driver!) on a case by case basis. However, most tuners it would seem have their own rolling road or access to one so can't be beaten on pub bragging rights!

The box solution, whilst generic and not at all tuned to your car, does have a couple of advantages; many, like the box I'm opting for can be turned up or down depending on how much effect you're looking for. When I'm driving to the lakes for example, I don't really need it turned up to "11", I'm much more interested in the fuel economy. Conversely, If I'm going on a track day I DO want all available horses. Only a hardware box can do this, unless you want to get really friendly with your Tuner! The other advantage is that if/when I want to sell the car I can remove the box and sell it on. It is extremely unlikely that a prospective buyer would be interested in it. Again, you can't do this with a softmap, once you've spent the money, its gone.

Having researched it, there is no one correct answer, as per usual it is what is better for you.

AO Member
County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

2005 GT

I've just had to take my tuning box out. The engine bay got cleaned and screwed the box.
I know most ppl wont get their engine bay cleaned, but they are susceptible to water ingress. I was happy with it until that though, got about 10% fuel increase.

County: -

Member car:

GT cloverleaf Q2

From what I gather the tuning boxes just 'trick' the engine into adding more fuel thats why they're linked to the injectors/fuel rail. I could be wrong of course.

With a re-map the air/fuel ratios can be fine tuned to suit your needs. If your experiencing to much smoke a good tuner can sort this out for you, it would be very difficult to do this with a box as there are only pre loaded settings.

I can't imagine either will give better fuel consumption.
County: Wiltshire
If the box worked then it would be fitted as standard, if the engines/drivetrains were reliable enough for the performance gains that remaps give then again that's how they'd leave the factory (though the generic map is quicker to load than set up every ECU in reality). The problem is that almost Diesel car that comes on here with emmision/smoke/MCSF faults has been remaped, so do they work? Yes, But are they reliable afterwards? Well the thread count tells that story, and you definately dont want to map a 20V JTD.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

box , diesel , opinion , tuning