labour times - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 06-09-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
labour times

Just got car back from mechanic and was pleasantly surprised with bill. Could you tell me the approx labour times for the following as he didnt break down bill:
cambelt and waterpump change
discs and pads all round
brake fluid change
oil and filter change
Car is Gt JTD
(Ps I supplied parts so only need labour times)
Sponsored Links
probably a full day so 8 hours
County: Wiltshire
Altogether 4 hours. The tasks can overlap so that saves time.

Cambelt and water pump, 2 hours, Brakes all round, 1 hour, Fluid change 40 mins, oil and filter 20 minutes.

Start with the disks and pads, bleed the brakes, drain the oil, do the cam belt and water pump, fit filter, fill oil and water, fit wheels, done.
AO Gold Member
There isnt really any particular special Alfa skills involved so taking much more than 5 hours - assuming nothing was seized solid (and it shouldnt be) is stretching things a bit.

I dont know if they still have the 'Audi Channel' on Sky TV, but it was hilarious watching the 2 hour programme about what happens when they service your Audi - the padding the mechanic had to do was hilarious, he spent at least 10 minutes just staring at the tyres, I suspect they do those services in 30 minutes, especially as they had all the latest measured delivery systems for fluids that you just leave while you get on with all the other 'checks'
Having all four wheels off the ground at the touch of a button and an impact gun to take the wheels off speeds things up massively.

If you've a brake job to do on all four wheels at home, likely as not you'll spend more time jacking it up and putting it on stands than you will doing the spannering.

Unless you're changing a drop link in which case it'll take forever and you'll be scarred for life like I am this morning.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

labour , times