156 Intermittent Starting - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 06-09-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Kent

Member car:

159 JTDm

156 Intermittent Starting

My 1.8 156 has just start playing up when starting while warm, it turns over but won't fire and I've got no unusual dash lights. I've read on the forum that the most likely culprit is the crank sensor. I'm after some info on this, is it a garage job, if not has anyone got a noobs walkthrough for changing it? Also does anyone know the part number for it and where is best to source one from in the UK?

Sponsored Links
County: Oxfordshire

Member car:

156 2.0

mines doing this as well, got rac out to it and he happened to be a ex alfa mechanic said chances are it is crank position sensor, so i need to replace it as well
County: Wiltshire
It will be the crank sensor, if you've got ramps and a jack then it's easy to replace.

Drive car onto ramps,

Place Jack under engine to support the wieght (use a thick plank to spread the weight or the sump will give way),

Remove the lower engine mount,

Remove the 5mm hex bolt that holds in the sensor and pull out the sensor, make sure the o-ring comes with it,

Unclip the wiring from the inlet manifold up the back of the engine and tie a piece of string to the old plug,

Pull the sensor out from underneath, tie the string to the new one and pull it back up, clip the wire back in,

Fit the sensor in the hole with the o-ring, fit the screw and refit the engine mount, drive car off ramps
Havent changed one so cant comment on the change - try a search for posts by Smaky he may have posted a howto.
As for the part try below or maybe eb spares

(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 08-09-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Kent

Member car:

159 JTDm

Thanks guys,

Got a new part from a dealer, was only a couple of quid between them an the internet. Fitting it was a bit of a game, trying to get a spanner over an allen key to get enough force was fun whilst on my back with only one hand All sorted now and seems to be working. I couldn't however see any way of getting the cable into the original clips, fingers crossed its not on anything that gets too hot.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , intermittent , starting