creaking noise coming from o/s/f wheel - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 02-09-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Fife
creaking noise coming from o/s/f wheel

just bought a 2002 156 2.5 V6 veloce.

i've got a horrendous creaking noise coming from the o/s/f wheel. this happens if you turn the steering wheel at standstill or if you are moving slowly and then brake you can hear it.

i have just had both front upper arms replaced as it creaked when purchased.

now it still creaks.

i was hoping to diagnose the issue by spraying the lower arm bushes with WD40 to see if the creak goes away, and then if it doesnt move to the ARB bushes with the same check.

any ideas would be appreciated. i did a search on here and everyone tends to diagnose the upper arms but these are now both brand new.

from reading on here, both the lower arm and/or the ARB bushes are difficult jobs for a DIYer.....?
Sponsored Links
CV joint?, wheel bearing? - hard to tell really

If you are a keen DIYer, both of the jobs you mention are 'do-able'
AO Silver Member
Almost certainly the lower arm ball joint. You could either replace the arm or try to create a gap where the rubber cover joins with a fine awl slid behind and inject some CV grease in (as much as will go). Separate the joint from the hub carrier and using a lever like a pole over the stub work it around - One of mine had a slpit in the rubber, I packed it with grease, used a rubber glue to patch and its been fine since. Also replace the lower arms both sides previously for this very noise/issue.

If not the ball joint could be the 2 other bushes - a good srapy of WD40 on those first perhaps to see if that cures it. If it does then maybe go for powerflex bushes? Mind you I would only fit those to a new arm due to the ball joint weakness.

Hold the rear end slide....don't run wide!

156 2.0TS Veloce Lthr (02/02), silver, black Momo, BMC filter,V6 intake, DS2500 Front-DS Perf Rear pads, Conti sportcontacts, OMP strut Brace .

Built in Italy, on the last Friday before (hic) Xmas........:-/

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

coming , creaking , noise , o or s or f , wheel