15 months on with gt 3.2 v6 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 26-08-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
15 months on with gt 3.2 v6

Ok heres what I wish I was told & would like to let other buyers lookng for the same car of.

Since buying the car I have experienced the three main & only (fingers crossed) problems.

1 - Look for a car with a q2 diff - otherwise the weak / standard diff will expolde when you drive the car without avoiding any ironwork or slippery surface in the road. Note -You will need a replacement gearbox at the same time if the diff goes.

2 - If anywhere near 40k miles make sure the cam belt has been changed mine had splits all over at 45k miles so had it done early luckily.

3 - While the cambelt was changed make sure the water pump was changed at the same time, for some unknown reason despite it being a long known problem in older cars alfa still put in a plastic water pump in the v6 gt , when it fails temp will raise & you will be looking at a 3k bill for head gaskets major job!!! look for one with metal impellors.

I do not know about other engine gt models but this is my own experience with my car which is mainly driven by my girlfriend & has not been fun atall.

I do hope this helps any one before they get in the same boat as what i did
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
155 Lounge Winner 09
County: Victoria

Member car:

GT . 155 . 75

good post.

totally, agreed. from reading on places like AO, i took the 'prevention is better than cure' approach: Q2 was fitted at 10K km, cambelt being done this very moment (car is in for routine 3 year service), and metal impeller pump fitted at the same time.

so far so good for me, otherwise. love the car. with the above, don't wait for it to fail, be pro-active! it's not 'if', it's 'when', unless it's fixed beforehand. in all honesty, i roll my eyes when i hear of failures where people have not heeded the advice already.

enjoy your car. it'll run like a drive from now on.

GT . 3.2 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red . Eibach . KONI . ASSO . ATP 19" . TAROX . FERODO . Mille Miglia exhaust
155 . 2.0 8V TS . Grigio Grey - Grey . H&R coilover . Enkei 17" . TAROX . GOODRIDGE . REMUS
75 . 3.0 . Alfa Red - Grey

Last edited by shiny_car; 26-08-09 at 22:20.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT