156 2.0 TS, engine not running smooth - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 24-08-09 Thread Starter
County: -
156 2.0 TS, engine not running smooth

Hi all,
I'm having a problem with my 156 2.0 TS model '99. After the 80k maintenance the engine started working uneven. Idle RPM went up and down and rarely it even shut-downed. On the 90k I've taken it to an official AR garage which checked the computer and found no error codes. Since it was the time for timing belt I've changed this as well. After that the car went worse... The idle RPM are even more unstable, the engine is shut downed more often, trying to drive on 20-40 kph (e.g. traffic jam) became like riding a wild horse... the car is jumping like a young horse and the worst part is that there is a power jump on 4200 rpm (more or less). The car is like choked underneath this rpm and then suddenly it open's and produce the power you would expect.
I would appreciate any advice to identify and solve this issue.
I'm pretty much OK with mechanics (however my previous passion was GT Junior '72...) so please be as detailed as possible.
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Antrim
IF there is no codes then it seems unlikely to be MAF or Lambda related, tho these are common issues.

I would guess its either a. Plugs, that last 50k miles only , or b.your throttle body needs cleaned (read up on this first) or is damaged.

Im no mechanical whiz, but i have a 156 that has had more than one issue
AO Gold Member
my bet is an air leak in the intake segment, maybe the vacuum pipe to the throttle body ?
it can just be a very tiny crack...
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire
MAF faults don't always show up until MAF is completely dead. But that one is easy to diagnose .. unplug the maf cable and try running the car. If it improves, the maf is your problem.

But this one sounds like the idle actuator may be out of sync with the throttle body.

First ensure you have no airleaks. The likely places are in the flexible rubber sections of the air intake pipes and also the two breather pipes from the crankcase: one is obvious and goes to the intake before the throttle, but the other is hidden behind the throttle body and goes directly to the inlet manifold.

Try a throttle reset first (90 seconds on/off/idle). If that doesn't work (and you may need to repeat it a couple of times), it is likely the idle actuator needs to be reset. I'd do this on AlfaDiag if available, but it may be possible at your garage. The alternative is to remove the actuator and replace it manually, ensuring that the throttle butterfly remains closed. Then reset the throttle again.

For more info on this and the reset details, have a look on my greenserpent website ... link in signature area below.

cheers, Gary

HIS: 1998 156 2.0 TSpark with Sport Pack 2, sunroof and hi-level spoiler in Alfa Rosso. V6 intake mod, clear side repeaters and Zeatek undertray.

HERS: 2009 MiTo 1.4 95bhp Turismo arrived 21st November in Techno Grey with colour-coded headlight surrounds.

"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"
My Alfa156 Web Site - how-to's, piccies, links, useful stuff, etc.
AO Member
County: Hampshire

Member car:

AR156 V6

i had allmost the same problem, but it got the jump on 3000rpm... i cleaned the maf, and it stoped, rpms where jumping some times, but the car didnt shut down, so i think try cleaning the maf, i think there is a tutorial somewhere

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , engine , running , smooth