Is my Alfa nightmare about to begin? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 23-08-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: South Australia
Is my Alfa nightmare about to begin?

Hi Everyone,

I know is is a well covered area, but I would have to hear some thoughts on my particular set of events.

So on a perfect Sunday morning the car starts up no problems, Its low on fuel and beeps then soon after gives the beeps to say that the km's to empty is below 50. I am driving it in manual mode (and have been for the last month or so) in 3rd gear climbing up a small but steep hill, it beeps again, this time however, it reads selespeed failure! Well this is it I thought.

The warning didn't last more the a couple seconds and the car didn't not miss a beat the whole time, it just kept driving as normal. I decided to go to a petrol station about 5min down the road, keeping it in manual it drove fine.

I checked the sele fluid and the petrol station, I find it hard to tell if its ok but the dipstick was all covered in fluid and car is only 4000km since last service. Oil was fine aswell, So I fuelled up and gingerly kept going this time in City mode.

I probably did another 5 or 10km of stop start in City Mode and it seems fine, got it up to 5th all the gear changes seem fine. Reverse is working, taking Neutral at the lights is fine and the pump is running when the door opens.

The car has been good as gold apart from occasionally delaying slightly when taking reverse, I posted a while back about that and it didn't seem like it was a huge thing.

I will call my mechanic tomorrow and if he think it needs it will bring it in from him to hook up to the diag.

Anyone got any other thoughts?

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Essex

Member car:

brera 2.4d

Hi, I had a selespeed for 4 years. It never really gave me any problems but would occasionally do odd little things like you described. I drove 40,000 miles in this car and only the wiper mechanism (well known fault) let me down. I should'nt stress too much over it, I think sometimes the electronics confuse themselves and give wrong messages. I've had this on all sorts of cars.
AO Silver Member
County: Bedfordshire
I would get your battery checked - a failing battery is known to cause all sorts of odd errors

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

alfa , begin , nightmare