Looking to buy a 147... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 22-08-09 Thread Starter
County: Buckinghamshire

Member car:

vw scirocco

Looking to buy a 147...

Hi guys,
im new here so be gentle! I wanted your advice on a possible purchase im looking for. Recently lost my job so have to get rid of my brand new Scirocco which i love

But ive always wanted an alfa and now might be my opportunity to buy one. I dont have a huge budget so i am looking for one about 2001-2002ish. Basically, what should i be looking for to be wrong with these cars that should send me walking? I know they use a lot of oil so i need to check whether that has been maintained, but i dont know what else.

By the way its the 2.0l that i am looking at. What would you consider to be too high mileage for a car of this age and this engine?

Finally, is selespeed worth going for? I currently have DSG in the VW and its great, but ive heard bad things about the selespeed sue to reliability and i cant afford a large amount of money if things do go wrong.

Anyway thanks for your time,
Sponsored Links
AO Member
I'd go for the JTD, just be careful on the tax cost with the petrols; see New & Used Cars, UK Car Dealers - Parker's
As for things to look for;
Alfa Romeo 147 Buyer's Guide
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 23-08-09 Thread Starter
County: Buckinghamshire

Member car:

vw scirocco

thanks for the reply, anyone else got any insight? Is 123000 high mileage for a 2002 car? works out at just over 17500 a year. if properly maintained, can the 2.0 ts happily do that many miles or is it going to come back to bite me?
AO Member
Hi Dev,

Yes, 123000 is high mileage. Alfa's need regular servicing and I feel more regular changes of often expensive parts to keep them reliable (cambelt, variator, wishbones, selespeed actuators etc). My 2002 147 has done 94000kms (59K miles). Personally I'd avoid the Selespeed if you're not able to handle the possibility of a large fix IF it goes bad. And especially so on an older model. You'd need to check the service history, when the cambelt was last changed etc etc.. It's a fantastic car, but can bite you on the wallet if it needs fixing.

And of course the thing you can't really check is how hard it's been driven. Mind you they don't mind a bit of hard driving!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , buy