OIL change advice - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Boxing OIL change advice

hi again all, today i will be changing my oil and filter will be using alfa filter and castrol gtx 10w40 and just wondered would using engine cleaner to drain the oil be the best option ive heard that older engines/high miles it can do more harm than good and just wanted a clear answer

i have a 156 2.0l 2001 with 120,000 miles on her

also for coolant is paraflu the only option or can i get away with something from halfords etc

thanks chris
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Perth and Kinross
Whenever I've asked the engine-flush question, the answer has been no...although there has been one time when I have used it on a very emulsified engine!

If you want to give it a good clean, give it a fill with cheap oil and filter, drive it for a few hundred miles, then change it for the good stuff.

There are two distinct types of coolant. You need to make sure you don't add one to the other, or it'll turn into a sticky mess! If in doubt, flush it out!
AO Member
I use Forte engine flush every 10k. Though mine is a 147 jtd 2003 (105000miles) rather than a petrol.
When we purchased the car 3 years ago I noticed that the service history contained forte engine flush at every service at the garage. Therefore I just carried on using it.
I would never consider not flushing the engine at every oil change.
I use it on my Clio as well and thats covered 110000 miles.
For info, save yourself time and money and order the selenia oil and paraflu through
Good luck, and if you do use engine flush, make sure you drain into a deep bucket and not the shallow types as it really does thin the oil and it can spash all over the place.

Alfaowner 2008/09 Fantasy Football Champion
thanks for input guys, stupid question but paraflu comes in 1 litre bottles and if i drain the coolant does that mean i need 3 as the capacity is 6.9 according to the hand book and its 50/50 mix with water ??? also when flushing is it just a case of removing the bottom tube from the water tank ?
AO Member
AO Silver Member
County: Nordrhein-Westfalen

Member car:

Alfa Spider 4

I use distilled water and antifreeze. No bloody idea what it does, but if it is good enough for my stupid iron, it is good enough for the Spider!

I was thinking of Calgon at one stage, but thought better not!
thanks for the info guys just need to sort my engine manement problem now its just one problem after another

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

advice , change , oil