Silencing Alarm beeps - not working!!? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 21-08-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
Silencing Alarm beeps - not working!!?

I hope someone can help, I have followed the instructions for changing the country codes on the alarm on my '99 156.

The change seems to work ok - it silenced the confirmation beeps on locking / unlocking - BUT if I set it to anything other than country code 2 (which means the car still beeps at me when I lock/unlock) then the alarm goes off about 10 seconds after I lock the car. When it does this, the alarm LED blinks 9 times meaning (I think) the alarm thinks it's been tampered with.

I've found a few posts where others have reported this problem, but can't find anyone who's solved it. I's not a door / boot / bonnet switch issue, otherwise it wouldn't matter what country code the alarm was set too.

the process I've followed is: Bonnet open. Ignition to MAR, then STOP. Push the bonnet switch (little micro switch mounted vertically in the bonnet catch recess on the left) 7 times within 10 seconds (the first push must be made within 15 seconds of the ignition being turned off). While the alarm is beeping, push and hold the switch until one long beep is heard. Release the switch and push again the number of times corresponding to the country code you wish to set it to (5 for UK - no locking BEEEEEP) Wait for a long confirmation beep or a short blast of the selected siren sound to indicate that it is out of program mode. Close bonnet, and lock the doors - silently - woo hoo. BUT then the alarm goes off !!!!!!!

Could it be something to do with the order/timing of moving the key to MAR then STOP, or some step in the process I have missed ?

Grateful if anyone has any ideas!
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Norfolk

Member car:

I've had the same thing on both of my 156's. Both of those where built in 2000, in case that could be related.
Either way, I just can't get mine to change code without the alarm going off, as above.
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 23-08-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
Strange. It obviously lets the alarm setting change, but then just doesn't like it being different!
Tried many different timings of opening the bonnet / switching to MAR / Switching to STOP etc, but only following the instructions as previously written gets it into alarm setup mode.

However, I've just realised that I haven't tried turning to MAR, turning to STOP then turning back to MAR before trying to enter setup mode - will give that a go tomorrow.

After that, the only thing I can think of is to plug in AlfaDiag and see if there is anything I can do to reset the alarm, but don't recall ever seeing anything in there about alarm settings.

Oh well, will keep on trying ... any other suggestions welcome

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

alarm , beeps , silencing , working