The ongoing 147/Mito saga continues.. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 20-08-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Wales

Member car:

159 sw Ti

The ongoing 147/Mito saga continues..

While my 147 JTD Mjet was in the garage and I was given a Mito 1.6? TDM for the day (180 miles of Motorway, A and B roads, and town centre driving. Heres my 'opinion'.

Both cars have 215/45 R17 shoes all round.

The Mito feels as if it is the same size car as the 147. A good start. The drivers cockpit and trim feels 'quality'. First impressions were very very good. But, there was no cruise control on this model

The Mito is definately better in the corners, however, when changing direction through the twists and turns the back-end feels as if it has low tires -- it was a bit un-nerving and I even pulled over to check if I had a flat. I think it is just a bit too light in the rear to feel really planted. Having said that, the front end is much more accurate then my 147, and it feels like it could be a lot of fun.
Motorways are ok, and there is easily enough power to keep going through 100mph+. I would strongly recommend keeping it in sports mode (something to do with 'dynamic' something or other). The other two modes are a real pain and do nothing more than highlighting the massive turbo lag (compared to the 147). The band of useable power is not as big as the 147 so you have to keep the revs above 2k. This problem is much more obvious in and around town. However, when the turbo does kick in - it goes like s*** of a teflon shovel - at least for a short while.
It is not as quick as the 147, but this is purely down to the 147 having a much wider, useable power band. Oh, and the fuel economy is about on par with 147 (circa 50 mpg for the day).

I am 5'11" and could not get a comfortable driving position. The steering wheel feels too big, and the weight of steering (sorry, I dont know the technical term) used to straighten the car up after going round a corner is awful!!! The old Astras used to be exactly the same - HORRIBLE. Its so bad that it feels as if you are constantly fighting the car to go in anything but a dead-straight line on the motorway, and to relax your grip on the wheel results in the constant need to correct, and re-correct the direction of the car. It is such a shame because it really spoils the enjoyment of an otherwise great drive.

Finally, the interior door handle is too close to the door hinges in relation to the size of the doors. I guarantee that someone will have a new wrap-around door this winter when opening the door with strong tail wind. We have all had to hold on tight to a door handle in high winds - the Mito door will be an expensive slip!!

In summary, frustrating lack of power around town, a great drive for twisty roads where you can keep the revs over 2k, a pain on the motorway - but only because of the steering, and some school-boy errors on the interior (door handles) - you have been warned.

Some good points, too many little frustrating ones.

On the other hand, if I had to buy a new small car, given the competition, it would be a Mito - by a country mile.

And so - A 147 or a Mito??????? Easy - a 147 every time
Oh come on, you really cant be surprised - can you?

Happy debating
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Cheshire
i must admit i do like the look of the mito
Thats the problem with driving coal burners there really is no difference , next time try a petrol one see how that goes

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 or mito , continues , ongoing , saga