V6 + xenons = bumper-off job to remove entire headlights.
i presume the car doesn't have xenons, so that should make it a little simpler. good luck!
it may help if you are looking (from the front through the clear lens) at the actual bulb whilst fiddling around. when you have hold of the correct tab/tongue and jiggle it, you'll see the bulb move - it just confirms you're in the right spot. can also aide refitment of the bulb, helping to aim it into the hole.
I just change (17:50 CET 03/05/2010) the sidelight Bulb [left side, with the fuse box behind] on my GT, without removing the bumper.
I printed Shiny_car's "how to remove bumper and Change..." and I looks like the best how to do it instruction for Alfa GT
However, I was gonna give it one last try before I have to remove bumper. And god I did it.
How to remove Xenon light unit cover without removing bumper.
1. Remove -ve lead to battery and move it out of the way
2. Open fuse box cover and put it somewhere save.
3. Unscrew fuse lead and move it out of the way (this lead can be move all the way back, beyond the battery
4. With the exposed fuse unit you can tilt it about 20degrees back and this will help to losen those Thick black wires.
Now that you have some "space", you can start unscrewing the 4 screws on the xenon light console cover.
1. The top 2 is easy.
2. The bottom 2 is FPITA.
-First the one away from the Fusebox. It is the easier among the 2. Sneak your philip Screw driver under there and then move your hand under the "black cloth cover thingY" located about 20-30 cm behind the light console. You can unscrew this screw from this position. With your free hand, hold on to the screw so that when it comes off, you DON'T LOSE IT!!!.
-Second screw needs patiences. [I recommend magnetic philip screw driver]
-Move your screwdriver under those thick black cables once in position try to slowly unscrew it. NB you will be unscrewing it at a slight angle so be patient.
Once all the 4 screws are remove you still only have space to fit in a snake's ***. Unbolt the top bolt to the light console. There is only one you can't miss it. It has a 1% marking on it.
This will buy you some more space.
Up to now, you have 2 snake's *** of a space to move the cover. With some jiggling it will come off. Do not use brute force, it will come off. Be patience.
NB there are wiring connected to this cover DO NOT PULL it off with Force!!!!
Until this stage I used about 30 mins.
Removing and replacing the bulb itselfs.
1. Locate the wire for the sidelight. For my GT it was a light-grey and black wire. there are by themselves. Look at the the sidelight and give it a slight tug. You can see if you are on the right wire. For the position of this bulb you can also look into your user manual which will give you a rough idea.
2. Once it is the right one. give it a gentle but firm tug and it will come out easy.
3. Remove the old bulb from the socket and put your new one in it.
This stage I used 5 mins
This is were the FPITA stage starts for me.
I believed I went thru the relative list of the designers that made this car!!!
To put the bulb back into the little hole it came from , I used over 30mins....
It's all a matter of playing pin the tail on the donkey! I cannot explain how to but it's a combo of luck, eye power and guessing...
but keep your eyes on the hole by looking thru the light console form the front. Patiance is a definite a tool you need. Once you get it in position, unless you have long skinny fingers like ET, use a screwdriver to push it into place.
TO reassemble, please do in reverse order.
Well this is how I replace my frony sidelight bulb on the left side of my Alfa GT 1.9 JTD
What I gain.
-2 sets of bruised and blooded knuckles
-an hour worth at the garage [which ain't cheap here in norway]
-Remember to ask the saleman about bulb change when I buy my next car!!!
As for Shiny's instruction, I will save it for another time