Summers on the way
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Zealand
Ok finally got some time to post a reply… I did have the right sensor, it turned the correct way off the car, the problem that I was having when fitting the sensor was that the cutch was depressed (clutch plate disengaged). This meant the rod that the sensor fits on was in its final location, not its start position so when I fitted the sensor by turning it ANTICLOCKWISE say 20deg, the sensor fitted and could be screwed down but it was in its start location so when the Selespeed came on line it clutched out which twisted the shaft, and brutalised the sensor as it was in the wrong direction for the sensor. Luckily I only damaged the old sensor when I was trying to do a mock up. Anyway this cause the sensor to ground/short casuing the error... The top tip is " place the sensor on the shaft and turn it CLOCKWISE”, if you can't do this it is more than likely wrong, also if you are removing the sensor and you hear the internal spring in the sensor unwind quiet abruptly (this is hard to explain) the shaft is probably going to be in the wrong position. I’m going to write the procedure down more thoroughly and post some pics soon.
Now for the solution… obviously with the Selespeed in pieces it was impossible for me to use the hydraulics to change the position of the clutch so my solution was to lengthened the clutch rod, this twisted the shaft round to the clutch out position, I then fitted the sensor, then shortened the rod to approximately the same length (I counted the rotations as I lengthened it) then used Alfadiag to check it, I didn’t get it to bad, it was 28.6 it was 28.4 when I started. After that it all fell into place...Well apart from a “flat” battery that stoped the Selespeed, I wasn’t a believer before that a low battery could affect the Selesped as it is only solenoids; but it does (but only before the battery is running)!!! 30min on the battery charge and it was all go!