Lights, camera, ALFA - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 02-08-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Greater London

Member car:

147 JTDm

Lights, camera, ALFA

Hey all

Joined last week after picking up a 2005 facelift 147 1.9 JTDm 16v.

Did my introductory thread last week, (thanks for the warm welcome) so now its time for business ;-)

Got a few questions so please bear with me;

1. Infamous "glow plug" warning light.
Having spent the week getting upto speed on the nuances of 147 ownership from the forum, i too have this warning. I'm going to change them today (if i can find where they fit) as the monsoon seems to have stopped.

2. Front Fog Lights
Mine are screwed to put it mildly. Firstly they didnít work so i took off the housing around them and discovered they are badly corroded and have basically split in half. From the light fitting/mounting it seems i can't repair them but have to replace them? Can anyone confirm or deny this? Pictures attached if youíre interested, it might make you laugh on a Sunday.

3. Exhaust back box. - Married to Iron Oxide
So it seems i have another common problem, rusted back box, Iíve cut off as much of the rusted top skin as i can, treated the rust & zinc primer will now paint with VHT. Clearly i need to replace this at some point in the near future and will get a decent SS version rather than the tin version the factory found in the skip. Question is, is it worth upgrading to a performance version when doing this?

4. Outside Temperature gauge
This is not working and is set to four blank digit lines on the dash, (picture attached). Any clue how this can be resolved, and I guess it could be a fuse but.......?

5. Lusso heated seats
Is there some witchcraft that needs to be performed in order to see if these are working or not? The switches seem to do sweet FA.

6. Remap
So im interested to increase the performance and have read many threads about re-mapping. Is this likely to be a problem as mine has done 95k miles but has FSH from Alfa dealer? Should I upgrade anything else? The majority of the members seem to favour Red Dot & Iím happy to follow this advice.

Thatís it for now; sorry for the war & peace but thought I might as well get on the couch and let it all out, in true therapy style.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg fog light front piece.jpg (72.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Fog light front piece-inside.jpg (90.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Fog Light rear piece.jpg (51.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Fog light side view.jpg (83.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Outside temp gauge.jpg (58.0 KB, 3 views)
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Kent

The word pup comes to mind..

1) Glow plug warning light, at 100k sounds pausiable
2) Yikkies, they look knackered !
3) Again 100k miles prob time for a new one, a performance SS exhaust will certainly look the muts nuts, althought the extra money would be better spend on a re-map
4) The thermister is located on the bottom of the driver mirror mount, it's that little lump underneath. It wouldn't have it's own fuse, thought maybe it shares one with the electric seats ?
5) Fuse ?
6) Angle tuning, There a chap on here called Nige.

Check on that Cam belt and water pump has been changed it should have been done at 72,000. But if the previous owner hasn't look after it, he/she might have put it off until it was 5 years...

(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 19-08-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Greater London

Member car:

147 JTDm

Hey SB

Sorry for the delay, been on holiday. First long trip in the car, jesus man the consumption is something to behold. Beverley in East Yorkshire to Padstow, Cornwall, 8 hours solid driving, just half a tank, well impressed.

Anyway thanks for your advice, back to the list.

1. Glowplugs replaced, all sorted, pretty easy job, posted a "how to"

2. Got some used front fogs being replaced by Autolusso

3. AL also going to replace back box with a SS Supersprint when i have the 96k service done in a couple of weeks

4. Whilst removing the wing mirrors for colour coding i have noticed 2 wires have been cut so i assume this is the problem with the temperature guage as all fuses are fine. Going to refix the wires and see what happens.

5. The passenger heated seat works, drivers doesnt. The drivers switch has been forced downwards and is stuck in the housing, going to try and free it up.

6. Got a quote from Nigel for the remap, going to have it done after my service.

Checked SH, CAM belt & water pump were done at 72k service.

thats all for now

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

alfa , camera , lights