What to look for? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 28-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Somerset

Member car:

Alfa GT

What to look for?

Hi All

Just posted a hello message in the intros and it was suggested that i post my accompanying question on this section.

I am just about to go and look at a '99 156 2.5 V6 that is described as immaculate for £1500

I would like to know if there are any major things i should look out for and avoid when buying one, a can accept minor issues but i could do with knowing what things i should look out for that should make me walk away?

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Service history is a must.

Good luck
AO Member
County: Bristol
I'd look for a discount on that price too... Put the details into Parkers price guide, or buy any car and see what you'd be offered.
Have a look in the gta tech lounge. I've written a buyers guide - a lot of what I've said in there is applicable to 156 v6's.

At that age you need to look very closely at the floor pan for signs of rust, its not uncommon for the floor to be held together by the bitumin sound deadening sheet above it.

See here: http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/tunin...version-8.html

£1500 is on the expensive side and I would expect the cambelt, idlers, tensioner and the water pump to have been changed recently as it costs between 600 and 800 to get it changed.

Check the inside edges of the tyres - they wear out on the inside first but at first glance they may appear to be okay.
AO Member
I've had my 156 just a week now paid £1450 for it, 2000/X Reg. As Chris said make sure the Cambelt etc.. been done recently. Ask for a new MOT if hasn't had one in the last couple of months. Mine had just had a grand spent on it to get it though the MOT and have the cambelt done. Make sure all the electrical bits work, check everything and even in the daylight check the lights work and the dash lights.

Don't be afraid to rev the engine on a test drive (some people don't like this, "Oi you haven't bought it yet" I've had before), its what the V6 should do very well. 2nd gear low revs, plant foot to the carpet and don't let off until it redlines. You might need to find a quiet road. Should pull cleanly, no hesitation, and no let up in the acceleration. It theres any stutter or hesitation then it could be the air flow meter or something else

Have I forgotten anything?
AO Silver Member
County: Northumberland

Member car:

156's suffer from wishbone bushes knocking. Not the end of the world but if you hear any bumps ar knocking, it could need bushes doing soon. Parts are reasonable but a booga of a job if you pay by the hour.
AO Silver Member
County: Antrim
most of all i would say ask the seller re checking oil etc.

if they appear not to take an interest in caring for it regularly its probably unloved in general.

car like that needs to have been loved throughout.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT