Help...confused...156 advice needed please - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 23-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: West Midlands
Help...confused...156 advice needed please

I brought my 156 2.0 sw in May, had it 3 days and it broke
I ordered another engine which was just a bare engine with new belts, tensioners and variator (I think) & it took them over 4 weeks from paying to deliver it to the garage (after advising it would be delivered within 10 days). Garage fitted the engine took the car out and engine light came on dash. They hooked it up to the diag and it says cam sensor.

The car drives but is limited to 3000rpm & 60mph

I've called where I had the engine from and they said to take it too them and they'll have a look as the sensor is behind the cambelt & bits? I've no idea...I'm a girl! They are 100 miles away from here & it is either going to cost me fuel to get to them or they'll recover it BUT if it turns out not to be the sensor they will charge me the recovery. They have said though that they don't think it's the sensor & are blaming the electrics. He also says if it's that sensor it wouldn't fire and start up?

The garage tell me they are 110% it's the sensor and not the electrics and I believe them but I can't afford to pay out any more money on this car than I already have. I've owned the car for just over 2 months, 6 weeks of which is was stored at the garage and 2 weeks on my drive & i've spent out already the same as I paid for it.

Those with any knowlege what do you think? Am I likely to get done for more money? What else could it possibly be and how long would it take to fix? The engine guy is talking about days if it turns out not to be the sensor.

I'm just confused and wondered what anyone else thought?
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Bedfordshire
What happens after 3000 RPM? Does the engine cut out?
AO Member
County: Derbyshire
Originally Posted by Deemac View Post
What happens after 3000 RPM? Does the engine cut out?
sounds like it's in limp home mode.....
Mario Andretti
If the garage says it is the cam sensor it probably is so ask the engine supplier to pay for it or tell them you are going to the small claims as what warranty was given with the engine...
AO Silver Member
County: Lancashire
could also be a belt cam sensor flag... either way is a cam belt off job... Would the the car still start if the CAM sensor was U/S, unlike the CRANK Sensor...

Where did you get the Engine from???

As theredx19 said...
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 V6

Well if the softwear says it is.. Its is, Cars and computers are friends and they can tell u more about a car then any 2 hands.. lol
(Post Link) post #7 of 8 Old 24-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
The engine guy says that the diag just points you in the direction of where the problem is which is what has confused me when the garage say that it is 110% the sensor.

I called another garage because mine doesn't have a printer to print out the diag but they want £50 that I just can't afford with all the kids off school.

The car is in limp mode and just holds back like you've hit the rev limit, just means quickly through the gears if you put your foot down too much to get out a junction.

A few people have now told me that it just wouldn't run if it was the sensor because the timing is out but as I know amost nothing about engines I have no idea.
AO Silver Member
County: Nottinghamshire
The cam shaft sensor senses where the cam shaft is - i would imagine the ECU can compare its readings with those from the crank shaft sensor. The ECU will know where the crank and cam should be in relation to each other at any particular time. If the readings start to vary outside a predetermined spec then the ECU puts the engine into limp home mode to protect it. If it goes even further out then it will shut down the engine.
Now then, the readings could be out becasue the cam timing is wrong, the belt has stretched, the tensioner has failed or possibly because the sensor is damaged (which is easy to do).

Whatever the reason, the cam belt has to come off to change the sensor or to rectify the timing problem that that may have caused the error in the first place.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

advice , helpconfused156 , needed