GT ashtray cover won't stay down! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 22-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: East Sussex

Member car:

Mito. 3.7 A/D GT

Cry Like A Baby GT ashtray cover won't stay down!

The cover over my ashtray (in the front in front of the gear lever) is driving me absolutely up the wall.

It doesn't seem to want to stay down - it's much more highly sprung than the one in my old GT was but doesn't always click down. It takes a good hard slamming to get it to stay down (even that doesn't always work) and then it'll ping itself open again randomly as I'm driving along. It scared the hell out of me last time it happened!

I took it to Perrys to ask them about it and was told it would need the entire ashtray replacing at a cost of ~60 (before labour costs). I've no intention of bad-mouthing them because I've always been very pleased with their service but surely this is just a loose screw somewhere in the mechanism or a broken clip?

Has anybody had this happen? How did you fix it?

Alternatively, if I can source a replacement ashtray from a breakers, how difficult is it to replace? I can only see a couple of screws..
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Cheshire
Eper has the part at about 38 if I remember rightly and unfortunately it looks like you have to buy the whole pan as it looks like one unit including the lid. Not sure why 60 was quoted unless it's normal for dealers to charge a premium on the part cost when ordering a part. My old GT had a similar problem when I test drove it, the dealer fixed it by lubricating the hinge mechanism as it was so stiff the lid was difficult to push to the point where the latch engages. Bit of grease fixed it, maybe this might help?

Good luck!
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

This is how I fixed mine. Glued some extra thin plastic material to the side of the ashtray where the arrow points at in the picture. There already are some extra material in that area but it was not enough for the little hook to grab on to. Maybe a common fault on early cars that was fixed later? The whole unit is easily removed by lifting the ashtray insert and removing the screw under the insert. Good luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ashtay.jpg (62.0 KB, 31 views)
AO Member
County: Surrey
I spent ages trying to fix mine. I tried glueing strips as suggested above, adding strips of tape etc and nothing worked reliably. Only after trying all of this did I tighten up the allen screw on the side and it's been 100% reliable ever since. My advice would be to start there.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

ashtray , cover , stay