Help - Disaster!!!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 19-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
Help - Disaster!!!!

Changed my upper wishbones a couple of weeks ago without any problems. I then decided to do my NSF lower wishbone. Got the old one off without too much difficulty, my problems start when I try to fit the new one.

Could manoeuvre it in for the life of me. So did a bit of research and followed some insructions where you raise the hub on a trolley jack attach the lower wishbone ball joint loosely then pull the hub back till you can get the mounting barckets on to the chassis. Going fine until....gloop, a load of thick transmission oil leaks out followed by 2 round bearings and the driveshaft hanging down.

Anybody got any ideas on reassembly? The 2 bearings won't seem to fit back onto the driveshaft and then comes the problem of getting all back together.

I'm at my wits end.....
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Perth and Kinross
Which part of the driveshaft has come apart exactly? Pics?
County: Essex

Member car:

156,145.s4 gtv6

Sounds lick you have pulled out inner joint, Should have three bearings, spider bearing, Best to remove driveshaft from hub,36mm nut. Pull drive shaft from car, clean bearings and re fit to spider, Check inner boot is not split. re grease gearings and carrier,refit boot and fit new straps.

When fitting lower wishbone. undo antiroll bar links and all 4 antiroll bar fixing bolts.
Good luck with rest of job.
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 19-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
Thanks guys, yeah it was the inner joint, managed to tap the 3 bearings back on gently with a rubber mallet. Re-inserted the drive shaft, boot still good but have trouble with the jubilee type ring, can't seem to loosen it off. A couple of other issues I'd appreciate advice on are the the 2 inner most bolts of the 4 that mount the wishbone to the chassis are proving really hard to locate - any tips? Also I had to remove the shock absorber to locate the wishbone but now can't get the bugger back it time to invest in a coil spring compressor or is there another way without having to remove the wishbone which would, of course, be self defeating?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT