Any oil less prone to burning off or are they all the same? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 17-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member
County: West Midlands
Any oil less prone to burning off or are they all the same?

Right before purple stocks up with Opies oils offer, I need to know if there is an oil that the 2.0 engine will use less of. Magantec I have already discovered gets glugged, a litre in 500 miles whereas Selenia needs much less topping up, currently half a litre every 500 miles.

All my cars use 10/40, so makes sense to use the same in all of them, however would I have to go to eg 10/50 to reduce consumption in the Sillyspeed? but then 10/50 is not so readily available to top up with, creating a different problem, so I would prefer to have the same in all of them if possible.

Oilmans threads are vey informative, however brands are not discussed.

Any thoughts or experinces out of this lot?

10w-40, 10w-40 oil, 10w40, 10w/40 Oil Products
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire
I've only ever used Selenia 10W40 in my twinnie .. and since an expensive engine rebuild a few years back, it doesn't use any oil ... or minimal. (Get mine from Shop4Parts)

Pretty sure if it is a good quality (branded) 10W40 semi-synthetic you should be OK. You could try 10W60 fully synthetic but I can't vouch for the results as I've not tried it. I have also read that GTX disappears at an alarming rate.

TBH if you have oil consumption then something is possibly wrong anyway. On mine, the rebuild was for the bottom end, but during the work they noticed that the rings had minute cracks and #1 bore had a very light but long scratch. Now as this was the original engine and it had never been touched, that scratch has to have been there a long, long time. The car was 8 years old and had done 82K. So I had new rings fitted and the bores honed (not over-bored, just cleaned up) .. now oil consumption is minimal. Before it was the normal 1Ltr in 1000 miles.

cheers, Gary

HIS: 1998 156 2.0 TSpark with Sport Pack 2, sunroof and hi-level spoiler in Alfa Rosso. V6 intake mod, clear side repeaters and Zeatek undertray.

HERS: 2009 MiTo 1.4 95bhp Turismo arrived 21st November in Techno Grey with colour-coded headlight surrounds.

"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"
My Alfa156 Web Site - how-to's, piccies, links, useful stuff, etc.
AO Member
I have just sold my 156 2.0 TS after owning it for 5 years. I only used to use Selinia 20K (10W40) semi-synthetic, and it would use about 1 litre every 1500 miles and did so from the day I bought it to the day I sold it.

I did occasionally use Magnatech when I couldn't get Selinia, but that did about the same miles per litre.

I know every car is different but your oil consumption sounds a bit much.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

burning , oil , prone