2.0 litre to 3.2 litre upgrade... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 14-07-09 Thread Starter
County: Auckland

Member car:

Idea 2.0 litre to 3.2 litre upgrade...

Hi There,

I have a late 2003 147 that has done about 74km and last night while driving home, my cam belt snapped.

147's arent that common in NZ and I've been given a quote of $5.5k for a replacement engine.

It turns out that my after market mechanical warranty expired in April so I cant claim the repair costs back.

Seeing as I'm going to be up for a replacement engine and a small fortune, I'm wondering if its possible to put a GTA engine (3.2litre) rather than the same 2.0litre.

Does anyone know if this has been done before?

Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: Surrey
It could be done ... but you'd have to replace virtually all of the car, all the wiring, ECUs, gearbox, exhaust, suspension (to support the heavy engine) definately the bigger brakes ... the list goes on ... would be cheaper to get a GTA flown over from the UK ...

... have you tried contacting AutoLusso (in the UK), they may be able to export you a reconditioned engine out ... don't know about the costs involved though ...
AO Silver Member
County: Cork

Member car:

BMW E92 320D

Sounds like it would be more cost effective to get a space shuttle to drop one off for you.
Yeah, even sending an engine on a pallet appears to cost 2-3k internationally. Unless you can source something in NZ I think you'd be best option would be scrapping it and sourcing a GTA.
AO Silver Member
County: Tyne and Wear
You could do it but as 156Chris has pointed out, it would be a big job not to mention that it would cost a small fortune to do.

What is the scale of the engine damage? Does it really need to be replaced? I would go for a repair over a replacement, It would be the most cost effective option too.
(Post Link) post #6 of 7 Old 15-07-09 Thread Starter
County: Auckland

Member car:

Crazed eeeek

Thanks for the feedback guys...

The repair company have advised I'm looking at $4.5k for a cylinder head rebuild, new valves, water pump, cam belt and some other incidentals.

The alternative is a 2nd hand engine that has done 30,000km which would be $2k for the engine and $4k for additional parts and labor.

So I cant decide between the rebuild versus the replacement second hand engine...

Any suggestions?
AO Member
County: Wellington
Ouch! $4.5K Sounds about right for the rebuild. You'd need to make sure the big end shells got done at the same time though - there are stories on here where the bottom end has failed not long after a cambelt snaps and the head gets repaired in isolation.

Good luck!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

litre , upgrade