156JTDM Sportwagon 1.9 buying advice - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 10-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Somerset
156JTDM Sportwagon 1.9 buying advice

Hi. I have been looking for one for a few months now and think I've found one from an independant dealer that fits the bill .

My question is, it is on a 55 plate with 50k on the clock and has not had cambelt / waterpump etc done as yet. I asked if they would do this and basically, they said they will service the car but would not do the cambelt etc for the price as it isn't required until 72k or 5 years. I thought I'd phone my local Alfa dealer and they have confirmed that they would not generally do until 72k/5 years as well.

If I take the car as it is (without a service) they would knock 250 off. I'm not keen on having a 500 bill just after forking out for a car but do you think I should take this option to cover half the cost and then pay the Alfa dealer to do the cambelt and water pump etc? Or should I let the dealer service now and wait to get it done at the 'recommended' interval. The car would come with a 6 month major component warranty so the other thing I could do is get the cambelt etc done before that warranty expires?

The alfa dealer suggested taking out an Alfa Care warranty?? Would this be a good idea, are they any good and any idea how much that would cost?

Any advice from you guys would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 1014
County: Dorset
I would get it serviced and get the belt done. There are too many waterpump failures on these cars to risk it as you can see by the thread on waterpumps. I had to change my pump just 30000 miles after it was done before. Plus then you get the belt done at the same time and you can have piece of mind that you know exactly when it was done. Get a quote from a good independant near you. I can't name any in your area but if you put a post up then someone near you would be able to recommend a garage for sure.
Oh and buy the way i own the same model your looking to buy. You won't be disappointed! Its a fantastic car. Which trim level did you get?

BMW E12 M535i, JC racing diff, Gaz coilover, Powerflex.
Alfa 156 GTA, Q2, Super sprint, CF2, EQ, KW coilovers, Eibach rollbars, Powerflex.
Alfa Mito QV , BMC filter.

GitList Member but not as high as Keithy! No Gibbo....I don't need a haircut AO Troublemaker! You have been warned
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 10-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Somerset
Thanks for the advice Joss. It is a Veloce, Gabbiano blue with black leather.

I am in Somerset and notice there is an independant in Ilton called Bensport. A google search doesn't reveal too much about them so any opinions on them would be appreciated as well. Their website isn't great but I don't care if they know what they are doing! If they are good I'll probably buy the car as it is and pay for full service, cambelt, waterpump in one go at Bensport.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156jtdm , advice , buying , sportwagon