well despite what i said i was going to do i saw this as an opportinity to sort out a sick alfa & hopefully make a few bob too so i did actually swap a 98 2.oL TS for a '01 1.8TS
after 30 mins of trouble shooting I found:
* plugs were manky. quick clean up helped alot
* wrong HT packs fitted [ CF2, should be Euro 3 ]
* variator solenoid open circuit, now replaced & working
after this all I had the car running fairly right
now the car can drive quite well & would actually respond to the accelerator
before hand it was badly mis-firing & very lethargic.
I know now that timing is out, left it at that for now...
this could be a nice little earner ......