Black!!! Alfa 156 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 14 Old 05-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Hampshire
Madness Black!!! Alfa 156

Ive owned my black 156 for almost 6 months now, I am getting so pi*sed off with the colour, everytime i wash the alfa it looks worse than when i started, so it means polishing the car after every wash, no matter how much care and effort i put in to it, or even if i take to a car wash it needs polishing, Also being black it looks crap again in a couple of days, so it harldey seems worth it, even though the car looks stunning after its been polished. I've never owned a black motor before, but i do know what a pain they care keeping them clean, but didn't tink they would be this bad!!!!

Does anyone have any tips?? Its frustrating me so much its getting to the point im think of selling, even though it is a great car!

Moan over with,

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Wrexham
i feel for you mate, girlfriend got a black car even after i tried to turn her off it as id had a few black cars in the past when i used to like polishing cars.i tried a few wax's on her car and most were not long lasting and looked dull and dirty within days but last wax i bought was collinite (176 or 076 i think) wax paste in a tin and it is detergent proof so doesn't come off when you wash,beads really well and when washed and a quick shamy looks pretty good.
now much easier to keep it looking good, so i would say invest in a quality wax or sealer and maybe clay before waxing.
AO Silver Member
155 Lounge Winner 09
County: Victoria

Member car:

GT . 155 . 75

it boils down to a combo of 'paint correction/protection' and 'maintenance'.

in terms of paint correction, this means preparing the paint before applying the wax/sealant. this usually involves a thorough wash, clay bar to remove stuck-on fall-out, machine polish to remove swirls/scratches. usually, only 'machine polishing' can achieve a top quality result (hand polishing does not generate enough heat/friction).

then, add the protection, whether it be wax (usually not as long-lasting, but can provide a depth and glow unsurpassed) or sealant (synthetic product; usually harder and longer lasting; can be high gloss but not quite as rich looking). a pre-wax product (eg: paint cleanser) is also beneficial.

these are typical steps performed by either the hobbyist or a pro detailer.

then it's a matter of maintenance. which including 'correct' washing/drying technique (eg: 2-bucket wash with microfibre waffle weave cloth), and perhaps finishing with a spray wax detailer and mf cloth. nothing that will induce swirls again.

then intermittent polishing/waxing, say every 3~6 months. a pro detailer can be well worth employing to bring it right up to as-new spec. then it should be quite easy to maintain if you are vigilant and wash the car often (ie: at least every 2 weeks and not every 2 years).

refer to the detailing subforum for more info. but yes, the upkeep is more than most other colours. i have a Kyalami Black GT, which in generally immaculate, but i work hard at that.

GT . 3.2 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red . Eibach . KONI . ASSO . ATP 19" . TAROX . FERODO . Mille Miglia exhaust
155 . 2.0 8V TS . Grigio Grey - Grey . H&R coilover . Enkei 17" . TAROX . GOODRIDGE . REMUS
75 . 3.0 . Alfa Red - Grey
AO Platinum Member
Originally Posted by eo16adams View Post
Does anyone have any tips??
yes, sell it and buy a silver one!!

Years ago I had a black car, never looked clean for long after cleaning & polishing.

Most road dirt is grayish in colour (apart from the squashed flies on the bumper!), so doesn't show up anywhere near as much on a silver car. So when I got my 156 in 1999, I got a silver one.

Keeping a black car looking good is very hard work, strangely more work than a white car.
AO Member
County: Durham
It may be hard work.... But by God... Its bloody worth it when you get those admiring glances from other road users & pedestrians.
A decent wash and wax combo followed by a towelling off with microfibre cloths once a week does the trick for me... Then a dam good polish & wax every 4 weeks... I love doing it too
AO Member

Member car:

Try after washing and drying to spray with Meguiars Ultimate Quick Detailer. I think you'll find it helpful in bringing out the shine without having to polish it all over again. If you get chance wax it with their synthetic wax this stuff is a killer ( in good way I mean)
AO Gold Member
County: Lancashire
black shows up the dirt so much, best way is to dry it afterwards.

i use a microfibre cloth to dry mine. i get no water spots nothing. if i leave it to dry on its own, i get water spots, dust the lot. so annoying.
AO Gold Member
County: Perth and Kinross
I've got a black one (fnarr), and it gets washed twice a year if it's lucky!
AO Silver Member
County: -
Originally Posted by iainfm View Post
it gets washed twice a year if it's lucky!

Are you sure it's supposed to be black? It looks red in your avatar

AO Gold Member
County: Perth and Kinross
Originally Posted by 10,500RPM View Post

Are you sure it's supposed to be black? It looks red in your avatar

Yeah, that's me changing Mike2909's selespeed gearbox.
AO Gold Member
County: Greater London
I've got a black Sportwagon and it's true it shows the dust and drying/water marks like hell.

I started reading the 'detailing' forum here and bought a load of Autoglym products preparing for a major clean and polish.... I haven't had time for this yet BUT have used the AG carwash ("shampoo & conditioner"?) on it's own just to wash the car and it's GREAT! Cleans well and if dried with chamois & micro-fibre cloth leaves lovely finish with minimal effort.

One day I hope to get busy with all the other stuff I bought including Bilt-Hamber autoclay soft but AG shampoo seems to give good results on a regular wash.
AO Platinum Member
County: Oxfordshire
Black looks great when it is clean, but then so does red and red doesn't show the dirt much.
AO Gold Member
County: Merseyside

Member car:

156 1.9 mjet 16v

i use flash wash system on all 3 black alfas ive owned Flash Home Car Wash System - Specifications

no water marks brilliant
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Silver GT 3.2 V6

I recently tried claying for the first time on my metallic black 156, then a coat of Autoglym Super Resin polish followed by a coat of extra gloss protection. Looked absolutely stunning after this and still looks great after a wash. Think I will be doing this every few months to keep it looking good. Need to sort the wheels next as they are flaking a bit (16" multispokes). Anyone got a set of 16" teles......

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , alfa , black