Easy fix or something more sinister? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 29-06-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Kent
Easy fix or something more sinister?

('03 156 jts 2ltr)
Hi all,
My Variator Solenoid is leaking oil has anyone else had this?
Its it just a case of replacing or is there likely to be a more serious underlying cause?
(Cambelt was last done at 36k miles and I've 48k on the clock now).

Where's the best place to source a replacement solenoid?

Help much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
County: Wexford
the solenoid is held in plac eny 2 torx heade dbolt, t30 or t40.

they tend to be very tight so you really have ONE chance to open them, if the torx slips you'll have to use alternate method or removal
Mario Andretti
Spot on as you only get one try on opening those bolts but you do tend to find a sweat of oil around them and it is normal...
AO Silver Member
County: Lancashire
Remove solenoid and clean area, smear some gasket paste on the top rim, be very careful not to get any paste anywhere else, the refit solenioid...
Take a look here a good guide The cam variator
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 06-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Kent
Variator solenoid the ongoing story...

didn't even get one chance - alfa get their bolts from landrover I think - who in turn get them from Kraft.
Ended up having to grind bolts into a more traditional bolt head shape and got a standard socket on them - all fiddly as hell - Other issue is they dont appear to be a standard Metric bolt so didn't have any replacements and the ground down ones had to go back on.

Looks like the leak was totally my fault as I rotated the solenoid to move the wiring out of the way whilst doing another repair job a few weeks back. WARNING TO ALL - dont move your variator solenoid!; the sealing rubber has a male part that slots into the solenoid body - when its rotated it tears it out and breaks the seal. As a repair, I gasket sealed it all in but the actual solenoid is now leaking oil through the electrical contact area on the top so I've now ordered a 2nd hand replacement - alfa wanting 130+ quid for a new one!

Did an oil and filter change, which was very easy once I'd spent a few minutes dropping the undertary off. -I got only 2 ltrs of oil out but the leak doesn't appear to have done any damage.
Put the proper Selenia Racing 10w60 oil in and would say it does make a bit of a difference for the better. Amazed to find it cheapest at the main dealer (Maidstone).

Cheers to everyone who provided advice!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

easy , fix , sinister