Fitting suspension and brakes 156 v6 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 27-06-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.5 v6 SP3

Fitting suspension and brakes 156 v6

FSD's and eibach pro kit aswell as new discs and pads are due for delivery within the next week and im almost convinced im going to have a crack at fitting myself im guessing it is going to be a good idea to replace brake discs and pads at same time as struts and springs what would be the best way of going about it im thinking strut and brakes for each corner at the same time will taking the discs off make fitting the suspension easier , also the guide in this thread should be pretty much the same for a 2.5 as a 3.2 ?

Come on guys convince me i can do it

Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire
The brakes are pretty straight forward (there's a guide under my Hints&Tips page on my website).

Taking the discs off will make the strut lighter when you take it out. You'll need to remove the pads and calipers and hang to one side. Don't leave calipers dangling on the flexi hoses ...

Problem areas: front strut fork pinch bolt, a/dr bar drop-link nuts (worth replacing both at the same time?), rear strut transverse arm to strut bolts, possibly rear a/r bar drop-links. Also read on here the rear top mounting can be fun to get back. Small bolts holding disc rear plate tend to stick and heads snap off very easily.

Not sure if you need to undo or remove the trailing arm but these might be fun if bolts were put in from disc side, in which case you might have to take strut out with trailing arms.

You'll also need spring compressors but not too wide as the spring diameter is quiet small on the 156.

Have a search on here for more threads on changing the struts as I think you also need a few other tools to take the top mountings off, etc (big allen keys).

cheers, Gary

HIS: 1998 156 2.0 TSpark with Sport Pack 2, sunroof and hi-level spoiler in Alfa Rosso. V6 intake mod, clear side repeaters and Zeatek undertray.

HERS: 2009 MiTo 1.4 95bhp Turismo arrived 21st November in Techno Grey with colour-coded headlight surrounds.

"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"
My Alfa156 Web Site - how-to's, piccies, links, useful stuff, etc.
AO Silver Member
County: Northumberland

Member car:

Been there and done that. A barsteward of a job, but saved a shed load of labour charges.

I was given a link to JonV6 thread when he and Sears did his. Have a look at it before you get going. It made it a lot easier to visualise whats going and whats staying.

Alfa Romeo forum: Pat & Jon’s suspension write-up
AO Gold Member
County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

Changing the brakes at the same time as the damper/spring wont save you any time except for the time to jack up the car and take the wheel off. If you've never done a suspension before then I would think very carefully before doing it, it is relatively straight forward but hard work and if the bolts or drop links are stuck then you'll wish you'd taken it to a garage

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , brakes , fitting , suspension