HELP - 'surging' after REPLACING the EGR valve - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 20-06-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Queensland
HELP - 'surging' after REPLACING the EGR valve

I have an '03 1.9JTD Sportwagon (8valve). Aside from a dead crank sensor and the obligatory wishbone/arb rebuild this car has been faultless.

A few months ago i felt that car was lacking low end grunt - wasn't sure if it was or not, it was a seat of the pants thing, there were no fault codes. Being flush at the time i bought new; Bosch MAF, EGR valve and MAP sensor as preventative maintenance items. I had originally suspected the MAF, however there were never any error codes and unplugging it definitely changed things (low end urge).

TODAY - some five months later (and a whole world away) I finally got around to changing the EGR valve.
PROBLEM - car now surges between 1700 and 2300 revs on light throttle/load. I can physically feel it hesitate (and something click) at about 2200 revs under load.

I'm going to put my old one back in and see if all returns to normal, however I wondered what is actually going on to cause the stutter ie. air leak, dodgy new EGR valve - OR something else which is now failing as the EGR valve is working correctly ?

Would really appreciate some help as we've recently returned to Australia and brought the car with us.. pretty sure it's the only 156 JTD in the country which makes experienced mechanics (including Alfa ones) thin on the ground)

03 1.9JTD8v Sportwagon +GTA teledials for the win!!

Last edited by craig_m67; 20-06-09 at 12:33.
Sponsored Links
(Post Link) post #2 of 3 Old 20-06-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Queensland
okay.. refitted the original EGR valve .. surging gone.

anybody have any ideas?
both valves move freely
both valves (now) only have a very light coking on the interior surfaces (can be removed with a finger)

Is it possible that the new valve is working correctly.. and the surging is a sympton something else?
Anybody know how to test the soleniod in the valves, is it a binary on/off thing (+-12volts)?
Could air leaks around the EGR valve cause surging (although everything seemed pretty tight)?

appreciate anybodys thoughts on this
thanks in advance

AO Member
County: Wiltshire
I had almost exactly the same thing. I bought a new EGR valve after thinking the original was knackered and I get a real dip in power with the new EGR valve fitted at around 2200-2500 rpm. I wondered if whoever re-works the EGR valves have used different springs or something making it more noticable closing. I'm also wondering whether I should also put the old EGR valve back on again or possibly blank it off with a piece of metal at the turbo end and also the EGR end too.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

egr , replacing , urging , valve