Potentil new GT owner advice please ? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 19-06-09 Thread Starter
County: Cheshire

Member car:

bmw 1

Potentil new GT owner advice please ?

Hi All,

Got my eye on a lovely blue 1.9 GT at Mangoletsi 05 plate 38k miles 2 owners on for 9995. I have managed to get price down to 9500 with a good price for part ex.

I have become a tad worried though over all the scary stories of cambelts and water pumps so have got them to replace, which according to them is 600 pounds worth of work. I have also asked for documentation to prove this, as I believe in as much history as possible with a car.

It is an Alfa approved used car with FSH although they did try to charge me 199 for a warranty upgrade as the standard Alfa one has a claim limit of 500 not full retail value ???

Not done the deal yet just need to pay deposit, possibly tomorrow, test drove the car and it was fab, anything else I should be looking for ???

Any thoughts advice or opinions for a newbie would be most apprecated.

Take Care

Sponsored Links
Graham P
Originally Posted by teej View Post
anything else I should be looking for ???
Not much really as they are cracking cars. You might find a bit of wind noise from the windows/mirror area and a rattle from the boot. Common problems that to be honest you soon forget about. You might be able to get them sorted on the warranty if you have them at all. I've also noticed on the one I have just bought that the windscreen wiper has worn away some paint on the top of the bonnet. Will be asking Alfa to look at that when my warrnaty transfer comes through. Mine is an 07 and the windscreen wipers are different to the previous 04 and 05 GT's I have owned so you might not have this issue. Engine wise they seem bullet proof. Get it remapped by Autodelta and the like and you will be pushing 200bhp. Ask Mangos about it they seem to promote Autodelta. Go for it. You will not regret it

P.S I once bought a red GT 2.0 JTS from Mangos and they come across as pretty professional. Had to chase them for a 200 deposit they owed me a few times but it all came through in the end so no worries. They also gave me a good price on my part ex
AO Member
County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

GT 1.9 JTD

give them an ultimatum do cambelt and pump as part of deal if they won't move walk away, they may reconsider
or sell part ex on autotrader/ebay and do cambelt and pump as part of deal,

also check alarm on close should be one beep , if ypu get another a few seconds later alarm is not arming.
heated seats if fitted lights should come on.
on the electric windows holding open button both should come down and when setting alarm both should close ,also window should drop when you open door

check the boot if you have 18 inch rims you should have a compressor and other bits and pieces in a polystyrine box ,
clips on parcel shelf break
check electric headlamp wash works if fitted

i had these problems but they were all fixed on 3rd year warranty as this is an 05 it won't have so make sure they work

also seen the car on the site make sure they valet it inside also the gouge in the bumper by the front wheel arch should be repaired
hope that all helps
AO Silver Member
County: Cambridgeshire
I had all the same fears, but having owned mine since February I can honestly say the car is solid, reliable and fun.

I got a better deal than that by buying privately though and I've just had the 600 cam belt service.

Just buy, relax, enjoy..............................

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

advice , owner , potentil