147 leaky passenger footwell - advice needed - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 12-06-09 Thread Starter
County: Worcestershire

Member car:

alfa 147

147 leaky passenger footwell - advice needed

hiya, help needed with water in footwell (passenger side) - its a 54 Reg 147 TS Lusso

i've looked at the other 147 footwell leak threads. followed instructions and have managed to establish this .

have removed carpets and looked under underlay

1. no trails of water down sides or from front of car - in fact sides and front (bulkhead) are dry
2. all water is in footwell - a puddle
3. heavy rain recently
4. beneath the underlay is a sticky (almost cardboard) matting - this is very wet.

do i need to remove this cover to identify problem?
is this definitely a bad weld ? if so how do i find where?
or is it a rubber seal of some type - if so where do i look for it?

many thanks

Last edited by brenski; 12-06-09 at 20:52.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Derbyshire
havent got a solution for you but what a coincidence this is because my drivers side footwell is wet through this week. had the car 3 and a half years and just started with this weeks rain and i cannot find where it is coming from
(Post Link) post #3 of 6 Old 12-06-09 Thread Starter
County: Worcestershire

Member car:

alfa 147

can't understand why there is no water trail showing where it's come from...
AO Member
County: Somerset
Cry Like A Baby where is it coming from? arrrggghhh...

I am in the same boat! I have a 54 plate 147 TS Lusso with a wet passenger footwell too. I am yet to do any further testing but the first thing I am going to try is taking the wheel and carpet inlay off because apparently there is a rubber bung behind there which can let water in so try spraying some water at this bung and see if any appears in the car (if you have taken footwell carpet out then place some kitchen roll or something around that area and see what you collect). I read this from the following thread:

Let me know how you get on, I will do the same. I really need to find out where it is coming from before it all gets mouldy (I think it may have started already because there is a slight smell in the cabin.... oh dear).

Good luck!
AO Gold Member
County: West Midlands
there is no trail as it has doubtless dropped straight onto the carpet from the heater outlets. I had the same problem on my 145, the solution is more or less the same if you have a 147/156, just some of the shapes of the trim are different.

How To Prevent Getting Water In The Car - Alfa Romeo 145 - 146 Forum

AO Member
Two suggestions:

1. If you remove the leafguard on the passenger side, underneath you will see a baffle that covers the inlet for the heater fan. This is only held in place by a plastic hook. Mine had become detached and heavy rain would run straight in. Water entering in this manner will give you a wet floor AND wet insulation lightly higher up at the front of the footwell.

2. The water that drains down the windscreen on the passenger side is guided toward water channels at about the mounting point of the bonnet hinge. Two of these channels drain onto the TOP of the wheelarch liner. From there the water runs down to the back of the wheelarch. If the water quantity is large, this can easily splash to where sealant has not been applied or grommets have become loose. Water entering in this manner will give you wet FLOOR only.

The soggy cardboard has to come out. It stinks!!!! I replaced all of mine with two layers of the old style rubber-and-paper carpet underlay (not the foam stuff!)

Hope this helps...

RIP 147 1.6 Lusso

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , advice , footwell , leaky , needed , passenger