Please help - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 11-06-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Lincolnshire
Please help

I new on here and failry new with correct terminology etc when it comes to Alfas so i apologise in advance

Anyway im thinking buying a ALFA ROMEO 156 SALOON 1.6 TS 4dr and was wondering if people on here can give me a little advice please.

Its a 2002 model, black with red leather interior which i love the look of, its has 50,400 on the clock and the owner tells me that it had the cam belt changed at 50,000 as he found a fault but nothing since, but he has only had the car for 7 months, he said he is only selling it to get a smaller model.

Anyway, i have heard many different things and opiniosn about Alfas and their reliability, and ive flicked around a bit on here also, can anyone tell me if they know or have had any major problems with the above? i know about the spark plugs, in that they are very expensive, but generally i think most parts for most cars are expensive, so thats by the by really.

Any help would really be appreciated as i really want to buy this car, then maybe one day i can add my own advice on here :-)

Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

156 1.8TS

Hi Ian,

I was in the same position to you a couple of years ago, so don't worry! Alfas can go either way I think. Some folk have loads of trouble where as I've been lucky and haven't had to do much more than tyres and service items over the past couple of years. Mine has been well serviced and runs as sweet as a nut, i think you can gauge a lot about how a car has been treated by how it's presented and the attitude of the owner.

What I would say is don't rush in to get this one as there are plenty on the market and lots in excellent condition with good service histories. As a personal point I'd maybe look at getting a 1.8 or a 2.0 twin spark, as I think you'll find the 1.6 a bit sluggish. Again, just my personal opinion

AO Silver Member
County: Essex

Member car:

all alfas

Hi Ian, and welcome to the AO forum

I think that Chris81 is 100% correct, you could get an AA to do a technical report on it....
(Post Link) post #4 of 5 Old 11-06-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Lincolnshire
Hi Chris

Thanks for your reply, im going to look at the car tonight for the first time, having only seen pictures of it at the moment, like you say, i'll get a better idea after i meet the owner and look at it i think. I know it has a full service history though. Im currently only driving a fiesta 1.4 so a 1.6 is the next step for me, but i am looking for more power if i can find one within my price range though.

My main worry is why the owner is selling at after only 7 months, sounds a bit dodgy, but his name is henry so with a name like that he surely cant sell me a dog...... i hope

im gonna get it all checked properly though, last service was in May this year which is a good thing i guess.

AO Silver Member
County: Bedfordshire
Look at the receipts not just the service book to see what has been done

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT