156 Selespeed Error P0340 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 05-06-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 2.4 SW Ti

156 Selespeed Error P0340

Hi, I have read alot about P0340 Errors on the forum, but have not really seen the $64m question ...

With this fault code and the car seemingly running perfectly, can I be doing any harm by ignoring it?

Selespeed yr 2000. 44k miles. New cambelt, balance belt & tensioners, plus aux belt tensioner (noisey) in 2005 @ 27k miles

New aux belt & tensioner in 2008 @ 38k miles

RED injector light on RPM clock (intermittant at first, then locked on). Started in April'09. Diagnosed & cleared May'09. >> P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit (Bank 1 or single sensor) MEM <<

RED injector light returned very next day after 3 journeys. Car runs PERFECTLY

Any comments/experience really appreciated. Car due service/MOT Sept'09. Just wondering the risk of waiting until then (also for the pennies :-)

Cheer, priyp
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Berkshire
156 Selespeed Error P0340

Not sure what the error code is - but as you say, you've read plenty elsewhere about that, but the red light is a warning - get the car serviced by someone reputable. The light is there for a reason, don't ignore it.

I've had my 2000 2.0TS Selespeed serviced according to the red light or mileage interval, whichever came first each time, and 110K miles of nearly faultless driving until recently when the clutch finally gave way.

Treat them nicely and they'll serve you well
County: Wexford
seems like you car needs its Cam Sensor replaced or the wiring loom to it is damaged.
AO Gold Member
County: Perth and Kinross
I had a cam sensor on a GTV that was faulty. It was fine until it warmed up, then went open circuit (or closed-circuit - can't remember). It confused the hell outta me for a while!

It probably won't cause too many problems if you ignore it - it might take a bit more cranking to start, but if you can live with it just get it done at the next belt change. On newer engines (CF3s?) it would limit the revs to 3,000 rpm until it's fixed.

Worth checking the connections though - it's the blue one at the back left of the engine, under the plastic cover
County: Wiltshire
Do the cambelt now, it may be skiping teeth back and forth, if it loses any then it'll cost a lot more.
(Post Link) post #6 of 6 Old 23-06-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

159 2.4 SW Ti

Thankyou to all ... comments have been gratefully received. Car now laid up for few weeks due (long?) summer vacation. Will get belts done in August with service/MOT. Cheers to all. priyp

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , error , p0340 , selespeed