New brake discs + pads - early wear showing? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 03-06-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Hampshire
Hmmm New brake discs + pads - early wear showing?

Just wanted to throw this out there, I had my rear brake discs and pads changed about a week or two ago because they were at the point of actually audibly "scuffing" along.

Didn't drive the car when I could due to this until I got them changed.

However, over the last couple of weeks, whilst the braking has been excellent, no noise etc etc etc, i've noticed slight grooves on the outter and inner rim of the discs already.

Is this caused by breaking to hard on new pads/discs? does it sound like they just fitted dodgy pads back on to cause early wear? (surely i'd hear them again if they were the same pads) or could it be to do with the calipers perahps not releasing? (making wild guesses here).

The front pads/discs haven't been changed since I bought her a year ago (y reg) when she had new discs/pads from the MOT in June 2008 and the discs still look new, no wear/grooves - however - the rear ones had worn over the time from buying her until now, so I'm wondering if it's something related specifically to the rears on this that wear sooner???

Help appreciated (and yes I kept my baby after going through an INSANE spell of thinking of selling her!!!
Sponsored Links
Any chance of a pic? - the rears do much less work than the fronts, so am surprised to read this - what brand of discs / pads were fitted?
(Post Link) post #3 of 8 Old 03-06-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
erm don't actually know, just generic standard, nothing flash/expensive.

I'll work on a pic, you can see brakedust around the edge also (they were bad before) so wondering if theres still some in there somewhere thats getting onto the new ones or between the pads, but i woulda thought they'd clean all that up, they've definately cleaned up the calipers as they were quite clogged up with crap/dirt/rust etc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg moto_0557.jpg (24.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg moto_0558.jpg (24.3 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Dreamz; 03-06-09 at 18:18.
County: Wexford
imho, that looks like 'healthy' wear
AO Silver Member
155 Lounge Winner 09
County: Victoria

Member car:

GT . 155 . 75

can you actually 'feel' the grooves with your fingernails? if there's wear like that already, then there could be grains of sand/dirt jammed between pad and disc (and lodged in pads). you should remove the pads to inspect.

can you determine if the wear is even on both sides of the disc? or scraping on only one side? if the problem is one-sided, then the sliding/floating mechanism holding the calipers is probably stuck and needs greasing.

AO Silver Member
County: Derbyshire
As SEARs said, looks normal to me; nothing to worry about.
AO Gold Member
perfect looking discs, no problems, they look exactly like mine (changed a month ago)
(Post Link) post #8 of 8 Old 30-11-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
hmm just found this thread, I'm still not happy with these but I guess that's what you get for buying cheap ones!

Went for a drive on the weekend and it was pouring down, roads soaked, but I think that combined with the brakes heating up caused them to whine/squeel a little (high pitched rubbing noise).

pretty sure I confirmed it's the rears going again by putting the handbrake on lightly whilst driving, and the screeching stops... I really don't want to be replacing discs/pads every 6 months... or did I miss that on the "job list" when I bought the car? lol

And in relation to what Shiny said, I do have a sticking(?) caliper but I was sure this was at the front of the car (kinda clacks like two plates er... clacking together, not horrendously loud, but enough to hear).

Interestingly though, front brake discs are still as smooth as a babies bottom...

Last edited by Dreamz; 30-11-09 at 18:35.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

brake , discs , early , pads , showing , wear