No power, high idle?? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 02-06-09 Thread Starter
County: Dorset

Member car:

156 1.8 T Spark

Help No power, high idle??

Now first off I have trawled through the search results but can`t seem to find the exact issue I have???

Recently done an engine swap on my 1.8 T Spark and all was well for approx 800 miles, then I now have high idle and no power, idle sits approx 1250rpm and power loss is massive, feels like I`m in limp mode or only have a 1/3 of throttle control.

Been to an independant who told my throttle position sensor so I swapped the throttle body complete from my old engine which I knew was working. No change, replaced the MAF, no change.
Independant is scratching his head and so am I, really frustrating as no power.
He told me my engine management light should be on but someone has taken the bulb out previously or its not working??

Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Flintshire
check my last post
County: Wexford
what year is your car?

if its fly-by-wire it could be a throttle-pot issue.

does any error lights or messages appear?
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire
High idle could be an air leak in the intake system AFTER the throttle.

There's also a valve in one of the breather pipes at the inlet manifold end which can get stuck or, in my case, was lost during an engine rebuild!! It's just behind the throttle body and not easy to see. It's a couple of quid (dealer only) and easy to swap. Check out my "idle saga" page on my website .... link in signature area below.

Also just swapping over the throttles may not solve the problem. The actuator on the throttle body is electronic so if out of sync, will send wrong position signals to the ECU. I also swapped a throttle body and couldn't get the revs down ... don't assume they are all the same! The throttle cable cam on the side can be different.

Have you tried a throttle reset??? (See my website or try a search on forum). Otherwise you may need to get the actuator reset on a diagnostic system (AlfaDiag or Examiner).

cheers, Gary

HIS: 1998 156 2.0 TSpark with Sport Pack 2, sunroof and hi-level spoiler in Alfa Rosso. V6 intake mod, clear side repeaters and Zeatek undertray.

HERS: 2009 MiTo 1.4 95bhp Turismo arrived 21st November in Techno Grey with colour-coded headlight surrounds.

"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"
My Alfa156 Web Site - how-to's, piccies, links, useful stuff, etc.

Last edited by gazza82; 05-06-09 at 09:53.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

high , idle , power