How do I repair split coil packs? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 30-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
How do I repair split coil packs?

Now I know some people know how to repair split coil packs, so Im hoping someone will tell me how (PM me if you want it kept secret, im desperate here in deepest darkest France). The reason I need to repair some is that the new (brand new non-OEM) ones I bought in Jan 08 are now starting to fail and I need to get one or more sent back to Facet through the supplier. Hence the need to repair the original 4. They have split below the mounting point to varying degrees.

Before anyone asks the resistance on the secondary of one of the packs has doubled and is causing a misfire. Replacing the old coil pack cured this immediately, but I now (1 month later) have a hesitance and I dont know if that is another pack failing or the split in the old coil pack...

Therefore I want to repair my 4 old ones for use, whilst the replacement(s) get sent back.

Many thanks in advance.

156 2.0TS SP3 LHD >145,000Km Alfa Rosso - With cured kangaroo (courtesy of a 15 quid clutch switch Thanks for nothing Alfa )
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Auckland

Member car:

Alfa159 2.4 jtdm

I cured a similar problem I had with the coil packs on a 164 24V motor.* I cleaned off the outside of the packs and found hairline cracks in the undersides of most of them. I then coated each underside with a layer of RTV sealant , maybe 3 mm thick. It worked and the motor ran fine after that. Make sure the layer is continuous, no gaps or holes, etc. I cannot guarantee it will fix your problem, but worth a try.
(Post Link) post #3 of 6 Old 30-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
RTV sealant??? I have to buy an equivalent in France too, so if you can tell me what its normally used for, temp characteristics etc???

I didnt know whether varnish in the cracks would do the trick?
AO Gold Member
County: West Midlands
why would ordinary insulation tape not work?

it is only to prevent the current grounding against the engine, so I would have thought a few wrap arounds of tape would do the trick.

Last edited by purple145; 30-05-09 at 13:40. Reason: unfortunate spelling mistake
(Post Link) post #5 of 6 Old 30-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
Too hot for tape isnt it...???
AO Silver Member
County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

insulation tape should be fine.

its noted as a cheap fix for nissan skylines that have splits/cracks in their coil packs, which is a common fault.

tape will be the cheapest option, so at least try it first.

make sure the coilpack is clean though, or the tape will either refuse to stick, or come off as soon as the engine warms.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

coil , packs , repair , split