alfa 156 selespeed problem - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 18 Old 30-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

ALFA 147

alfa 156 selespeed problem

hi , i own alfa 156 00' selespeed ,
i have a problem and i will appriciate your help ,
the problem that after i drive the car and i park it , at the next morning i find selespeed oil under the car , i found out that the oil get out from the breather in the selespeed oil tank !
it always happend and i always fill it up , almost every day
i need to know whats wrong with the selespeed ?!

Last edited by adrenalin; 30-05-09 at 17:00.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Auckland

Member car:

Alfa159 2.4 jtdm

Selespeed oil

Are you overfilling the tank? There is a dipstick on the lid. You must not overfill it. To fill, open drivers door, turn ign switch to MAR and wait for pump to stop. Then carefully add oil to mark on the dipstick. Since you are losing oil, it will probably overflow the oil until the level is OK, so you probably do not need to add any more oil.
(Post Link) post #3 of 18 Old 30-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

ALFA 147

no im not overfilling the tank , i fill it exactly as it should be , i fill it at the morning with the door open and always i found that it loose oil and i fill it up to the max level !
whats can make the selespeed to loose oil from the breather when the engine turn off at night ?!
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa159 2.4 jtdm

In that case there is a possibility that you need to maybe have the system bled. That is a service agent's job using the Examiner software tool. Also, the accumulator could be faulty, which means a new one, and that starts to cost. Fiat sell the accumulators separately for their similar system, but Alfa only sell the complete robotic assembly!

Does the gear change work OK when you drive the car? When you open the door first thing the pump should run for maybe 11 - 12 seconds or so to charge up the accumulator before you start the engine.
(Post Link) post #5 of 18 Old 30-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

ALFA 147

the gear change work fine , and when i open the door i hear the noise of the pump for 11-12 seconds !

but i cannt understand why the oil get out just when the engine is off at night ?! whats get wrong ?!
AO Gold Member

County: West Midlands
seles often do this, some owners (including me having read about it on here) fit a small catch tank, typically a small pop or vitamin bottle at the end of the breather pipe and strap it to the chassis. If you do that make sure you put an additional hole in the top to allow the system to vent.

HTH
(Post Link) post #7 of 18 Old 30-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

ALFA 147

ok , but does this solution will fix the problem ?
i think that the selespeed will keep loosing the oil and it may start doing problems with gear engage !
can you tell me more about this solution?!
AO Gold Member

check the forum for a picture of my catch tank, oil that is thrown out in the catch tank , is sucked back when you open the door. No spillage and no topping up ever !!

see thread: which oil for Selespeed
(Post Link) post #9 of 18 Old 30-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

ALFA 147

ok i did it , i hope it wil resolve the problem , as i noticed that a lot of members here are suffering from the same problem !
"rarebear" for how long you are using catch tank in your alfa ? are you satisfied ?
also any body else who fixed catch tank , for how long it will hang on ?!
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenalin View Post
ok i did it , i hope it wil resolve the problem , as i noticed that a lot of members here are suffering from the same problem !
"rarebear" for how long you are using catch tank in your alfa ? are you satisfied ?
also any body else who fixed catch tank , for how long it will hang on ?!
I fitted it some 4 years ago, mainly because checking the level is a bit of a pain (greasy fingers and all that), now my check is to open the car at the
passengers side and open the bonnet to see how much oil is in the catch tank
then I open the drivers door and see the oil being sucked into the system.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa159 2.4 jtdm

I also fitted a catch tank but no oil goes into it at all. The oil level is where it should be in the resevoir and everything is working fine. I do not think a properly working selespeed with correct oil level should overflow either into a catch tank or onto the ground. Have you tried having the system re-calibrated by a dealer?
(Post Link) post #12 of 18 Old 31-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

ALFA 147

alex i think you are right , the oil shouldn't over flow in correct working , but i went to the dealer they check it and they told me that in the examiner every thing is working fine and there is no faults ! and the pressure is between 45 and 55 bar so i still dont know whats wrong ?!
they said for try to replace the pump to check if this will fix the problem , but it cost a lot and if they repalce it and didn't fix the problem they cann't have it back it's mean i cann't return it to them !
if you were in my shoes what you would do ?!
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa159 2.4 jtdm

When the dealer checked the system, did he run the bleed mode as well? If there was some air trapped in the system it would expand when the car is turned off to push oil back into the resevoir. I am not certain about this, but it is worth asking him that question. It is certainly strange what your system is doing.
(Post Link) post #14 of 18 Old 01-06-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

ALFA 147

how can i get the air out from the system , can i do that at home ?!
i think its propably can be that air had trapped in the system because before 5 months i changed the selespeeed oil in the system , so how can i check if there is air trapped in the system , and how i can get it out ?
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa159 2.4 jtdm

Bleeding the system is one of the procedures that can be done using the Examiner software. It needs the agent to do it, but some 156 and 147 owners use a software system called Alfadiag which can be bought on the web. It also needs a special connection cable and a PC as well. Probably best to get your agent to run the bleed first to see if that cures the problem. Did you check whether your agent did run a bleed?
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Binnie View Post
Bleeding the system is one of the procedures that can be done using the Examiner software. It needs the agent to do it, but some 156 and 147 owners use a software system called Alfadiag which can be bought on the web. It also needs a special connection cable and a PC as well. Probably best to get your agent to run the bleed first to see if that cures the problem. Did you check whether your agent did run a bleed?
I sell (and so does SEARS) the modified OBD2 cable, > 150 AO members have bought the cable
PM me for details and see AlfaDiag Alfa Romeo Diagnostic Software for more info
AO Platinum Member

To be completely fare and open, it needs to be said that you don't need a "modified" cable to connect to the engine ECU or Selespeed ECU.
Unregistered

County: Wexford
What DC says is too BUT if you have bought Alfadiag you will need a modified cable to communicate with the airbag system.

At present A/d does not communicate with ABS, see my siggy if oyu need software to do that.

back to selespeed issues:

the system will depressurise over night, thats why it primes itself when you open the drivers door so as its ready for use by the time you start the car.

if it is spitting out the fluid it could be that it is OVERFULL or that the accumulator is defective

Accumulator (Vessel): Part Number: 71751195

to check the oil level you need to open the bonnet, then allow the pump to prime/run & as soon as it stops running then chekc the oil level. if its above the max, use a syringe to remove excess fluid

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , alfa , problem , selespeed