147 cruise control problem - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes

AO Member

County: Auckland
Thanks Nuggett, very simple fix. I actually managed to fix mine with the switch in situ. Took a couple attempts as you have to be firm with the plunger. All working now and no need to for coins, blue tac or tape.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Suffolk
Ops, I should have read the whole thread. Just popped some coins on the pedals, but whilst holding the brake pedal down to apply the "spacer" I got a beep, and a VDC and ABS failure warning. Bugger.
AO Member

County: West Midlands
I have the same thing with mine 147 03 no cruise control but going try what u all said
AO Member

County: Oxfordshire
Hmm, thought maybe I'd give this a go with my GT but I couldn't spot the switch that people are talking about. There's a white one on the break pedal but I couldn't see one for the clutch. Is it different for the GT?
AO Member

County: Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenChoker View Post
Hmm, thought maybe I'd give this a go with my GT but I couldn't spot the switch that people are talking about. There's a white one on the break pedal but I couldn't see one for the clutch. Is it different for the GT?
Did you remove the brake switch? On both Alfa's i've owned the Cruise Control problem has always been the brake switch plunger, never the clutch. I'm pretty sure the GT and 147 would be very similar.

Remove the brake switch, should twist off, although you'll need to be pretty bendy to see it. Then on the end of the white switch you'll see a black plunger, get some pliers & pull it out, it's in there pretty tight so give it a good tug. Pull it out all the way & then refit.
AO Member

County: Oxfordshire
Don't think it's the brake switch, I had a good look at that (after I had a bit of a mental wobble figuring out which pedal did what) and it comes out a fair distance before the pedal loses contact. Going to take a video of it with my phone to see if it can spot what I couldn't. Or it could just be the fuse.
AO Member

County: Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenChoker View Post
Don't think it's the brake switch, I had a good look at that (after I had a bit of a mental wobble figuring out which pedal did what) and it comes out a fair distance before the pedal loses contact. Going to take a video of it with my phone to see if it can spot what I couldn't. Or it could just be the fuse.
It may look fine but i'd still remove. Mine also came out pretty far & moved up & down with the pedal, but only worked after i removed the switch & manually pulled the plunger all the way.

May be worth checking brake lights also to see if the electrical part of the switch is OK.
AO Member

County: Derbyshire
There is definately a switch at the top of the clutch pedal on a GT. that's what I have and where my problem was. It's harder to see than the brake one. Get upside down in the footwell and you'll see it!
TuT

County: -
Thanks guys. Just extended the plunger on my clutch switch. Fixed cruise control in 5 minutes. Awesome!

County: England
This is how the pedal clutch switch supposed to work

It's easy to get it out, just follow the instruction of others, turn it to the right at 90 degrees to pull it out after you unplugged it's wire, and pull with something by the black pin, I used my teeth and worked just fine. It's have to be full extended, mine was in good shape, if it's damaged you better buy a working one. I didn't tested the cruise control yet, I think it's broken because the + & - don't come back if I turned on - or +, it's just stays there. I will make another movie about that.
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/36yk2dyrc...HvFH0vDgzB5X2a
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160314_083731.jpg (100.4 KB, 9 views)

County: England
I fixed my cruise control in 5 minutes, getting out the pedal clutch sensor, I pulled the black pin with my teeth and mounting it back. Easy job. Thanks guys for the info.
I made a clip how it's supposed to be.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ysl7rxu621...84756.mp4?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/obsqiz46wh...83731.jpg?dl=0
sunil likes this.

Last edited by icsu; 17-03-16 at 19:45.

County: -
My experience with faulty CC. The CC would sometimes turn off by itself, wouldn't turn on. Bought the brake light switch, didn't fix the problem. Both switches (brake and clutch) had contact with pedals. Checked fuses all good. Tested both switches with multimeter they worked perfectly. Then tested the connector for CC. The negative wire had no earth. New earth no nearby connector and woila, CC works again perfectly.
The connector has 5 wires. (earth, 12V constant, empty, switch ON/OFF and reset, switch -, switch +)

Hope this helps.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
147 , control , cruise , problem