1st post, be gentle!!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 18-05-09 Thread Starter
County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

1st post, be gentle!!!

Hi all,

well second i suppose after the intro

Time for an upgrade after the absolute crap I've had recently, including Polo MK3, almera N15 1.4 (probably the worst car I;ve owned since a Renault 5 when I was 17 and it wasnt the Turbo!!).

Really wanting a 147 but a bit confused as to which engine to choose and depending on the year, be really grateful for any recommendations.

I travel about 50 miles a day so nothing too thirsty, 3.2 out of the queston unfortunatly
Would prefer a petrol, and reading through some posts.. are people seriously getting 30+ MPG on a 2.0L? I know it depends how their driven, I do like to open them up but I'm no boy racer!!

Its the diesels that confuse me, with the money I'm wishing to spend - 5K, my options seem to be 2004 model with either the 1.9JTD, JTDm and JTDM 16v. but have also seen JTD Multijet 16v - is this the same as the JTDm?? Also are different enginees available after the redesign in 2005?

Version would be the Lusso, seems to give the best package but could anyone enlighten me on the Q2???

And finally, sorry to waffle on, is there anything particular I should be looking for when purchasing, any recalls that should have been sorted etc?

Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: West Midlands
Re: 1st post, be gentle!!!

hi, welcome to AO

I am not an expert on the diesels engines, hopefully a more enlightened soul will be on soon.

Petrol engines can get 30mpg on open road driving, rarely in town though so it depends on your journey. I would have thought for 5k you could get a new car than a 2004 though.

General stuff on these car is cambelts at 36k (not so sure of the diesel), crank damage as the engines can use oil and worn suspensions which show as creaks or rattles over bumps. Bodies are galvanised, so no rust, electrics are pretty reliable, inside is rather civilized and they drive well.

A Q2 is a differential option (like LSD or Torsen diff) that makes for a better drive through the twisties.

AO Member
County: Derbyshire

Member car:

In general the 147 is a good solid car. As said the cam belt interval on the petrols is a rather short 36k. The suspension bushes tend to wear out faster than you may like as show up as creaks and rattle as you go over bumps. The good thing being that the more common upper wishbone is relativly cheap and easy to change.

My wife has a 1.6 and gets high 30's - 40mpg on cross country driving but she doesn't use the rev range or put her fot down. I find the 1.6 lacks torque at the lower end and needs to be worked hard to make good progress. If going petrol I'd look at the 2.0 as you''ve indicated.

The diesels the non 16v are around 115-120bhp with the 16v multijet 140bhp and if I am correct the 16Mjet 150bhp. The dieselis a very progressive unit (compared to many). Cam belt interval on the diesels at 72k although if you look at the water pump failure thread on here worth getting done around 50-60k mark. I have a 156 140bhp diesel and more than happy with the engine, get 43-45MPG with a mix of town and open road driving.

For a petrol look at the history and see if it has had a cam variator done when the cam belt was. These can become noisy, (sound like a diesel) and as I understand to change you have to remove the cam belt etc.

Due to current oil prices you're more likely to find a newer lower milage petrol for your money in my experience.
AO Platinum Member
County: Surrey

^^^--- what he said ... and for what it's worth I've just recommended my sister in law to get a diesel 147 which she is more than happy with ...

... obvious advantage with the diesel is that you get get them remapped for a significant increase in power

... also stay away from the selespeed ...
AO Gold Member
County: West Midlands

sele's are cheap for a reason, that said, when they work they are spot on, just need more understanding and more TLC than a regular Alfa

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

1st , gentle , post