Engine Warm Up - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 05-01-04 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 2.0 TS

Engine Warm Up

Do you warm up your engine before taking off?

If Yes: for how long?
If No: why ?

All the best
Sponsored Links
No because my car manual say not to. But then again can you believe them.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 1.6lt

Depends on the outside temperature. Usually I start the engine, wait 20-30 seconds for the oil to reach every point it has to, and then start driving smoothly, not exceeding 2000rpm until the coolant's temperature reaches 90, then raise the revs up to 3000 or 3500. Five minutes later (oil gets at working temperature) I feel free to rev up as much as I wish.
AO Platinum Member
County: Porto

Member car:

Alfa 159 QV

The manual says you don't need to warm up, only adverts to the fact of not pushing to hard before the temperature gets stable. Actually it says something like, for environmental reasons you should not waste the petrol and wait till it warms in you garage or something.

I warm it up for about 15/30 seconds and I drive slowly for the first km's.
AO Silver Member
The way car manufacturers think it's probably better for your engine to warm it up before you leave, but they advise you not to, because it makes your car last longer, which is not what they want, because they want you to buy a new one again soon!

AO Member
I don't go over 2500 rpm until I reach 70+ degrees Celsius. Usually I'll wait until it's stable at 90 before I really push it (not that I do that a lot).

Mind you, this is a 1.9 JTD (115 BHP version) we're talking about, I've always heard diesels need more warming up and especially these JTDs as apparantly they are made from aluminium or something and they tend to crack if you put the turbo on them when too cold (this is just hearsay, but I still wouldn't want to risk it).
AO Silver Member
County: Wiltshire
Don't think they want you sat around in your garage waiting for the car to warm up, it takes longer when its not under load, every car should be properly warmed up before excessive revs, why more cars don't have oil temp guages i'll never know, oh and oil pressure. basically just ride around softly until approx 5 mins after water temp is at normal and you should be alright.

In more high tech cars like M3 the car won't allow you to rev it untill it is warm which is nice.
Yes always have, how long for depends on the outside temp, never even consider redlining it until its covered at least 10-15 miles, the water temp is just that, Water Temp, the actual engine, its components & oil take a lot longer to reach the correct running temp which can take up 30 miles is some circumstances

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

engine , warm