156 Rear Suspension -- "Thumping" Noise - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
rehan samee
156 Rear Suspension -- "Thumping" Noise

Hi Everyone

First of all, please accept my best wishes for a happy, healthy and prosperous 2004.

Lately I have noticed that sometimes (NOT all the time, though) the rear right suspension on my 1998 156 V6 makes a loud "thump" when the car passes over a slightly uneven surface at a regular speed (not too fast or too slow -- just even speed). It is as if there is something bouncing around in the boot. The sound is NOT like a rattle, but usually a single "thump".

I don't think there is any noticeable deterioration in the ride quality -- but then, the ride on my car is firm anyway due to the Eibach springs. Also, the handling seems to be fine.

Any ideas?? Also, please advise me on how to check suspension bushes (especially rear ones) for excessive wear.

Best regards,

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 & WRX PPP

I think I may have a similar problem with my Sachs performance suspension. It doesn't happen all the time, just once in a while when passing over a gap on the road or something. I still can't figure it out what caused the noise, but I'm getting used to it.

It's strange that the previous set up (Eibach + Koni) didn't have this problem.

Just in case, have you checked if the spare tire and all the tools are locked in places?
AO Silver Member
County: Victoria

I got the same thing on my Eibach + Koni. I've tried to spray some lubricate on all the rubber bush on suspension. But still not help.
The most obvious answer is, it's not a BMW wink
AO Member

Member car:

166 3.0L V6

I had this problem also. When I eventually examined underneath the car, I found my long lost cat, Snicky, trapped underneath. The decomposition was quite bad, but at least now he can rest in peace...
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 1.6lt

I have the same mysterious noise on my 147 ( factory suspension ). Everything underneath the car is tightened, and the spare wheel and tools as well. I ve been always mentioning it to my dealer at every damned visit of the 15 i ve made since now, but I never got any response. Only once the mechanic bothered to inform me that its probably the top-mount of the rear shocks ( the thingie that is over the shock and absorbs the vibrations ). "Dont pay attention" was his reply rant

I m not 100% sure this is the case though, i asked my pal who s a Fiat mechanic to investigate the problem, and he always cleverly avoids the situation, because he s not sure about the noise source, which means an Indiana Jones adventure on finding and solving the problem.

I also had exactly the same noise at a replacement car I got from my dealer for a week, which means perhaps its a common problem.
This problem is very similar to a problem I had on a Lancia thema turbo which the 156 has nearly the same rear suspension set up.
The main possible causes are 1) the rear trailing arm bushes which locates the trailing arms to the underside of the car. 2) The suspension top mount rubber bushes. In both cases the car has to be lifted up with a four point lift system not a ramp lift as the suspension has to be free floating (not under load)to be able to feel / see the movement in the bushes dependant on which side the noise has been heard coming from.
In my case after grabing the trailing arm rocking it and seeing a slight play on the trailing arm bush when i removed the arm the bush just fell out. The top suspension mount bush splits and breaks away inside the top mount assembly. By grabing the road wheel and lifting it up and down if the whole shock assembly moves as one not just the coil spring and damper then the bush has gone.
AO Member
County: West Yorkshire
My 156 used to thump at the back, it was on standard suspension though. Rear bushes were changed and thump dissappeared.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , noise , rear , suspension , thumping