accelerator potentionometer - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 11-05-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: Gauteng
Help accelerator potentionometer

Hi Guys.

Last night, I was crusing home. Multi function display, popped up the message: "Engine control system failure". I instanly turned the engine off and costed of the side of the road. I then got a Selespeed system Failure message.

Got the car towed home and fired up the Alfadiag.

Engine ECU showed 2 errors. P0220 and P1222. Both Relating to the accelerator potentionometer trak 2. Selespeed ECU had one error also pointing to the accelerator potentionometer.

If I clear the error's they come back instantly. If I start the engine it's very rought and there is a clear smell of unburned fuel in the air.

I did a quick search through AO and decided to pull the accelerator. I got the elecronics guys at work to check the Pot's in the unit. (These are guys that repair Plasma TV's and Digital Cam's) They think that there is no problem with the pot's themselves. They both read varing resistances.

Where else can I look?

Oh, Alfadiag reports that Pot Track 2 is always at 5 Volt. Track 1 canges from 0.75 to about 4.5.

Thanks guys.

Keithy says: "I think you put too much sugar on your cornflakes! "

Last edited by TheMystic; 11-05-09 at 11:16.
Sponsored Links
AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
Membro Premio
County: Bratislavsky
Re: accelerator potentionometer

I read somewhere there are 2 potentiometers on accelerator pedal. Everything is ok till their reading is the same or within 3 percent difference margin. If the difference of their readings is larger, ECU registers an error. You see that in your case Track 1 varies with accelerator pressing and Track 2 is stuck at 5V so I guess the second one is broken and needs to be replaced and ECU errors cleared.
AO Member
County: Luxembourg
Did you ever get to the bottom of this? Now I have this same problem, did you find a solution.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

accelerator , potentionometer