Cambelt has gone on my GT JTD at 71545 miles - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Re: Cambelt has gone on my GT JTD at 71545 miles

There's 8 pages of people's stories on that other thread if you want more info, mine's in there:
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Down

Member car:

I should have been more clear, I was referring to my other 'snapped belt' thread, which Fergie had posted in,

My details aren't in the Sticky thread as mine apparently is not due to a waterpump failure.

I was keeping an eye on the sticky thead, but didn't take any action , although I was reminded at the 60k service that the belts needed changed at 72k, (IIRC it's on the invoice)
AO Silver Member

Originally Posted by fergie69 View Post
The reason they gave was that the mileage was near enough to 72K not to pay out for the failure.
Shocking response.

Top 5 in the JD Power survey was the aim, wasn't it?
AO Gold Member

Very sorry to hear this fergie69. However I think legislation may be on your side, certainly worth investigating further.

I get the impression that, with increasing failures (whether waterpump-derived or belt/tensioner alone) ARUK are beginning to 'wash their hands' of this outside the 3-year warranty period, or certainly anything over 60,000 miles. May be wrong, but that's the impression I get anyway

Shocking response.

Top 5 in the JD Power survey was the aim, wasn't it?
Totally agree Padders. And in a recent CSMA Club magazine (March 2009), concerning an article on the MiTo, the MD for ARUK mentioned the poor performance of Alfa Romeo in the 2005 JD Power survey, stating (and I quote):

'.....It doesn't matter if you have the greatest product in the world - once
you get a poor reputation for customer service and reliability, sales
will slump. We're in a mess............In the 2005 JD Power customer
saisfaction survey, we came bottom'.

Yes indeed, and if ARUK continues to provide lack of support to customers such as Fergie69, Alfa Romeo will continue at the bottom of the table!

Last edited by Spider95; 15-05-09 at 12:18.
AO Member
County: East Sussex

Fergie ,

I have experienced similar problems with a cracked head on an Audi A3 2.0 Tdi that was 3.2 years old with 58K on it , Audi said there was nothing they could do - I persisted and eventually they paid for it all ( 3 months later ) - it is not just Alfa - most manufacturers will do nothing unless pushed . Keep the pressure on - you have a very worthwhile case ,

best of luck
AO Member
County: West Sussex

When the guide-lines for the cam-belt changed on the twin spark models from 72k to 36k I winged to them like you wouldn't beleive it, no was what I got for an answer too, however, they were legally bounded because I had bought the car with a manual clearly stating 72k! they can change the guide-lines but there is a liability that they must honour when changing what they put to press! I wouldn't take no for an answer it's 72k NOT NEAR ENOUGH to 72k! It has to last to at least 72k or more with a tolerance of 1k! I winged and winged and hasseled and harrassed them till they coughed up the entire bill!
PLS DO NOT LET THEM GET AWAY with it! otherwise everytime there is a legitimate claim they will try to worm out of their responsabilities! A fabulous brand let down by crap, dismissive and arrogant management! There is legislation to back you up here, Good luck with your ordeal!

Last edited by Alan Jansen; 22-05-09 at 02:28.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

cambelt , jtd , miles