147 sound deadening - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 02-12-03 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 147 JTD 16V

147 sound deadening

Having owned my 147 for a month now I feel that for a car that retails for almost 20K here in the UK, the build quality is quite poor.
Sound proofing from vibrations and road noise is especially bad and is more noticeable from the hatchback area. The quality of the sound deadening materials used are not up to the job and are either too thin or have not been applied enough. It just spoils what is an otherwise good car.

Have any 147 owners had this issue and are there any suppliers of sound deadening foam for such applications.
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
Dynamat? it is quite expensive though! cause it is normally used for pro audio installations, to minimize panel vibrations, etc.

you could try shops dealing in trucks, etc.. sometimes trucks and vans use self-adhesive insulation under the bonnet and in the engine bay, used to minimize the noise and vibrations of the engine. there are lots of types too, like foam, or silver-foil-covered foam, etc etc..

what do you intend to do exactly? dismantle the doors and insulate them? and the hatch, and the pillars, and roof and floor etc ? eek!
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 03-12-03 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 147 JTD 16V

I just intend to do the hatchback area since there is a lot of exposed panel area, especially where the spare wheel is
AO Gold Member
County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

The 156 is also poor for noise insulation. Like you say the boot is the worst area.

Try taking out all the carpet etc and take it for a drive - its very loud. I have a Novitec exhaust which doesn't help.

When I put a sub in the boot, I replaced the carpet and wrapped insulation around the inside of the arches, boot floor and spare wheel well - makes a big difference to road noise from the back.

The stuff I used is about 10mm thick and looks like shredded foam.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , deadening , sound