Tyre Pressure - 18" Tyres - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 01-12-03 Thread Starter
AO Member
Tyre Pressure - 18" Tyres

Anyone have a clue what the tyre pressure should be on 18" tyres on my 147 Selespeed? The tyre size is 225/35zr18.

I've been told by a tracking company I should have them at about 35psi, but I wouldn't mind a second opinion...

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
35/18? Do you have a spine left? Bloody hell, that's not a car, that's a hoover......
(Post Link) post #3 of 6 Old 01-12-03 Thread Starter
AO Member
Infact, it's OK. But you can tell the difference between this an a 'Normal' car. I got a 3 door Stilo when my 147 was being serviced, and it felt so smooth in comparison.

I have the Koni dampers, which seem to improve it alot.

When I wear these tyres out, I'll get 40 profiles instead.

To see what they look like, look here
AO Member

Member car:

Dust In My Eye

Im on 225/40/18 and tend to aim for 32psi.....
It was up on a ramp today and the tyres seem to be wearing nicely and evenly
Correct tyres pressure ? Right this is how you determine the correct pressure, this will depend on time of year & your driving style & don't let anyone tell you differant THIS IS THE CORRECT WAY.

1/. Guess the correct pressure probably around 28-32 psi for example with the tyres COLD set the pressure all all four tyres to 28psi using a good quality pressure gauge ( Halfors sell a good one ,Pencil Type for a few quid).

2/. Drive your car as normal, going to the shop down the road and back will not do, get them warmed up 5-10 miles should do preferably on some dual carridgerway or motorway. PARK the Car & check your tyre pressure while the tyres are still warm.

If the Pressure is correct there should be a diffearnce of 4PSI between Cold & Hot, if the differance is More than 4psi INCREASE the tyre pressures by 1psi at a time untill you have a 4PSI differance between Cold & Hot pressures, if the differance is less than 4PSI your tyre pressure is too HIGH reduce it again by 1PSI on each tyre untill you have the 4 psi differance.

Obviously this will take time, but having ridden motorcycles for over twenty years where correct tyre pressure is a matter of life & death I've found this method to be the best. HTH's
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 1.6lt

I 've always said that (ex-)bikers drive and handle their car much better wink

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

tyre pressure 18 , tyres