guess the noise, please help if you can! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 27-04-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
guess the noise, please help if you can!

hi all,

yes i know, its tricky to identify or even describe a noise via a forums, however, on the offchance that someone herek knows what im talking about i will percevere.

i have a strange noise on my engine. the normal low rumbling tractor noise is normal (yes its a 1.9 jtd 156) however over the top of of that noise at a much higher pitch is a vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv noise. it rises and falls directly in proprotion to the revs of the engine. occurres when driving or stationary, gear engaged or disengaged. both my turbo pipes have been replaced in the last six months its definately not that. my cam belt and all pullies etc were replaced abouta year a go and ive done approximately 15k since then. as it occurrs when stationary and gear/clutch disengaged i can only assume it is attached to the parts of the engine which are not related to clutch/drive/turbo (happens at and below turbo revs). when driving the noise gets eventually drowned out by road noise as speed increases.

my assumption by logical exclusion is that it is either belt related or tensioner/pully bearing related. my flywheel has been noisy ever since i have had the car (rattles when fast pedal is released

the nearest approximation i can make on the noise is that of a fat mountain bike tyre rubbing on a frame, which causes the noise to rise and fall with pedaling speed.

right, please bring on speculative help and the normal raft of baiting!

many thanks all.

ps. its a remapped car by the way. the noise is slowly getting louder each day and i would estimate that i am getting slightly more black fog than is normal even with my remap! my exhaust is quite sooty.

love, love is a verb, love is a doing word.
Sponsored Links
County: Wexford
Re: guess the noise, please help if you can!

if oyu remove the AUX belt & the noise stops you'll know its an AUX driven unit [ power steering, alternator, air con pump or a tensioner/idler ]

if the nosie stays then it could be timing belt hitting a cover.

good luck with your quest
(Post Link) post #3 of 6 Old 27-04-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
Re: guess the noise, please help if you can!

cheers that gives me something to try to narrow things down. ok so..

1. remove aux belt and see if it goes.
2. if it doesnt then check cam belt cover???

will post back with results. in the mean time has anyone else had this or has any suggestions?

kind regards
AO Member
County: Gloucestershire

Member car:

156 1.9 SW

Did you crack your noise source? I have just picked up a jtd with exactly the same issue. Im sure that my old twin spark also did it and suspected t belt, but it never led to a problem, could be normal?
AO Platinum Member
County: Oxfordshire
If the noise changes when the clucth is depressed it won't be a timing belt/waterpump issue.

If it does change (gets louder) when clutch is pressed it is often the release bearing.
If it gets quieter when the clutch is pressed it could well be the input bearing on the gearbox.

If the noise doesn't change it is probably something on the timing belt or auxlillary belt circuits.

The Diesels are know to have a weak waterpump and the noise could be that.

See the sticky on top of the 156 section.
PEd: try looking at / listening to this Youtube video - YouTube - Alfa 156 2,4JTD bad tension pulley - and see if it's similar.
I've got a very similar noise, but only present when A/C is on. I hope it's not the compressor on its way out, any ideas / past experience? Previous owner says not to bother as the noise's been there for quite a while. Water pump and cambelt changed 20k km ago, no record of changes in the aux belt section.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

guess , noise