I had 3 Citroens and couldn't fault them.
But I've fancied an Alfa for a while (especially after a work colleague bought a 147). Found a GTV that wasn't perfect but knocked him down on price
What's currently wrong:
- The windscreen wipers only work in intermittent. (electrics, will trace this, probably something daft)
- Makes a squeaking sound, like a BMX braking, when I turn left at low speed. (will check bearings)
- The speakers seem to have dodgy connections. (just bad connections)
For a 12 year old car with 88k miles on it, that's not bad! When I'm passing the window I give it a glance parked outside, it looks great. It drives great. I had a silly grin on me earlier hoofing it round a roundabout getting rid of some prat in a tailgating Audi. It gets more attention than a cheap 12 year old car should!
Now compare this to a German built, British designed, American funded Ford Orion 1.8 Zetec I bought 5 or 6 years ago (in desperation for a set of wheels after my Clio was written off, I was living in a small town in the sticks of Scotland at the time with a very small used car market), it was younger (at the time) and had less mileage than the GTV:
- Cut out and stalled every time you stopped. Got a bit annoying on a drive from England to Scotland.
- Fusebox blew 3 times.
- Idle was a random number generator between 800 and 2000 RPM. Changed Idle control valve, cleaned it. No change.
- Right hand lights, including indicators, stopped working. Had to stick my hand out to indicate like something from the 50s.
- Started misfiring, running on 3 cylinders. Clouds of blue smoke when taking off. Think a valve seal went.
- When I washed it, I discovered the wheelarches were made from filler and papier mache.
- It would veer in a random direction when you took off at any sort of speed.
- The handling was shocking. Was like the steering wheel and the car were on 2 different systems.
- All speakers were blown. Cheap Ford factory units.
- Fuel gauge was non-functioning. I had to guesstimate how far I could get based on how much I put in
- Fuel tank was leaking like a sieve
Had it about 5 months before Scrapping it. Bought a ZX diesel, that started me on the Citroens, then finally dived into the Alfas. Chuffed so far
Put me off Fords for life. Although it was based on the criticised mk5 Escort, and I've been assured that Fords have improved.