Buying a 156 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Buying a 156

Having previously owned a 2.0 16v 155, I am considering buying a 156. Anything major to look out for? I'am familar with the Variator/Cambelt scenario. Do worn wishbone bushes still apply? Looking at cars having covered approx 60K miles, how much should I be looking at paying? What age can I expect to get? Selespeed a good option, or is it just something else to go wrong? Any help would be appriciated.
Sponsored Links
AFAIK cars from around 2000 don't have the variator problem 145/6/155 and aerly 156's are known to have

Have a look on the Autotrader and Exchange and Mart websites, there are some fairly cheap cars around, just depends what you are planning on spending.

1998 cars are down to about 4k and the rest seem to vary quite a bit.

AO Silver Member
County: West Yorkshire
Hi Rapidomoto
Just a few things to watch for on 156's.
Check the Cam belt has been done, it needs to be done at about 30K to 45K, not 60 as the service manuals say. Uneven idling is quite common, it's a throttle actuater problem easily fixed. Watch for worn suspension links and bushes, occasionaly steering Rack's seem to fail.
Selespeeds can be troublesome, it's important the car has had it's various 'Campaign recalls' as these fixed some of the software glitches. Do a search on here for 'selespeed problems'.
Be carefull with the spec of the Car a lot of 156's a parallel imports, nothing wrong with that, but not all were to UK spec, and the Trade marks them down when you trade in. The buggers don't sell them much cheaper tho.
Good hunting.
Yes the cam and balance belt etc but dont under
estimate the cost 500 ish also front suspension mine creaks but I will do the bushes when the Nylon ones become available soon.I also have problems with the immobiliser.As for gearbox get a manual.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , buying