Is this true? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 05-11-03 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
Is this true?

Bad enouph being owned by Fiat. But GM!! naughty;f=1;t=002290
Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

147 1.6 Lusso

Well, I think GM have something like a 20% stake in Fiat at present. Seems inevitable that the stake will increase. Depends on how much autonomy Fiat/Alfa are allowed to keep in terms of design etc. After all, Volvo and Jaguar don't seem to have lost too much of their traditional character under Ford ownership; or Saab under GM ownership for that matter.
AO Gold Member
County: -
Technically FIAT can force GM to buy the rest of the FIAT Automotive Group.
However both partys are currently examining the situation to determine whether the agreement is still current and applicable.

see bottom of this pdf

Still the 157/8 will have GM V6 and GM chassis so......
The engine is supposedly good. Revs happily to 7000 and pulls really well (similar to the current Holden supercharged V6)in a 1640 kg Holden Commodore so the worked over Direct Injection Alfa version should be good. Thechassis was going to be used by saab but was found to be too expensive for them.

AO Silver Member
The costs of vehicle development are so high that all manufacturers share development costs and platforms. Ford great new diesel engines are Peugeot developed, and the Vauxhall.opel Vivaro is a Renault traffic is a Nissan ??. Renualt designed and developed them, and GM/Nissan build them.

So Alfa will have shared paltforms with GM premium platform (Saab still get the vectra (i.e. cavalier) platform laughing ) and shared Engines, although basically the major work is done by GM, the the AR guys then take over for AR cars and make it much better (and probably break it to!! ).

Thats why we dont have cars like a cortina, and they dont cost 50K for a VW polo. But it does suck ALOT that the new 158 will share alot with a load of Yank motors and maybe even a future vauxhall -uurrrrrrggggh, i feel sick

I must be strong, have faith that AR will erase all GM traces - the force must be with them....Still the diesel engi9nes (5 cyl) are not GM at all, and a 200hp 2.4jtb is on the way. have to say i will emigrate to oil when thats out..sorry! wink

Hold the rear end slide....don't run wide!

156 2.0TS Veloce Lthr (02/02), silver, black Momo, BMC filter,V6 intake, DS2500 Front-DS Perf Rear pads, Conti sportcontacts, OMP strut Brace .

Built in Italy, on the last Friday before (hic) Xmas........:-/
AO Member
County: Greater London
I agree that the prospect of too much GM involvement is a concern. But, as we are constantly being reminded, there hasn't been a "proper Alfa" for decades anyway! laughing

There has been some speculation that the Alfa Romeo marque could be stripped from Fiat Auto and included in a non-GM group with Fiat's "luxury" brands Ferrari amd Maserati.

This would no doubt please the GM sceptics but mean that no Alfa will have a price tag under 50k. Great.

Best regards,

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT