Leaking Actuator perhaps? Selespeed 156 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 23-04-09 Thread Starter
County: Queensland
Leaking Actuator perhaps? Selespeed 156

Hey Just bought a 156 selespeed -- got it a few days ago, and the mec check on it before I bought it was fine. When I took it to Alfa to have its first service, they said that the actuator was leaking and would need to be completely replaced -- costing my 5 K (AUD), half the price of the actual car -- and thats on top of undersized brake pads??

Does any one have any idea on whether this is something that can be done any cheaper (I visited a transmissions place and they said the only ppl that could do it would be alfa)? I realise it can become a bit of an issue -- but I have the belt change in a couple of thousand K anyway, which will be pricey as it is.

Unfortunately I am in Australia so the services here are pretty slack, bt any ideas would be great

Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

156 selespeed

Re: Leaking Actuator perhaps? Selespeed 156

Does the oil level in the selespeed resevoir keep dropping?
What year's the car? Some of the earlier models suffered with 'rust' build up on a hydraulic plunger on the rear part of the actuator, but unfortunately you can't buy that part seperately.

The resevoir's on the right when you open the bonnet, behind the battery, theres a long black plastic shroud around a resevoir cap. For now, buy some selespeed oil from the dealers and keep an eye on the level.

You can try your luck with a good used one, not sure what Ausi's like for Alfa parts tho???

If they insist you need a new one, I could send you a repaired unit. I'd have to check delivery cost, but my actuators sell at 550, fully tested, on an exchange basis. So you'd have to send me your old one.

I have a photographic guide on how to remove them, so any independant garage can do the job cheaper, but you'd have to have it re-calibrated. Main dealer can do this, or, if you have Alfadiag, you should be able to do this from a laptop.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , actuator , leaking , selespeed