GT 3.2 gearbox failure - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 21-04-09 Thread Starter
County: -

Member car:

GT 3.2 gearbox failure

Can anyone help? I love my GT, but know very little about the clutch/gearbox thingumy whatsit under that there bonnet.
I am the proud second owner of a GT 3.2V6. It currently has 29k on the clock. It has a FSH with Alfa dealers.
Anyway, during a recent service by an Alfa dealer I was told the clutch master and slave cylinders needed changing, the clutch was heavy (I think that it normal), but it squeaked and groaned badly when it was pressed down. I accepted the diagnosis and booked it in for the work. (I also agreed for the radiator to be replaced as it was rusted – I think the previous owner lived by the coast – I then braced myself for a tasty bill!, Little did I know….).
The garage did their bit, but rung me to deliver bad news….
After the clutch work was finished they took the car on a road test. During this short drive the gear box “exploded!” (his words not mine). I don’t think it has shattered the gear box casing, but I think it is leaking oil. The garage has not taken it apart yet, but they think the drive shaft has snapped.
Anyway, they said they would try to get a contribution from Alfa. The car is only 3 years and 6 months old and they have never experienced such a failure before on a GT. Oddly they asked that I do not mention to Alfa that they were working on the clutch as they felt this would result in Alfa not making any contribution. Hmmmmmm, I might not be Sherlock Holmes, but my suspicion meter is twitching….
Anyway, Alfa said “no” to a contribution. I am now left with continuing to complain to them and, in parallel, trying to get the dealer to cut me a deal on the repair price. He has offered me something, but I suspect he knows he blew it (quite literally).
Can anyone tell me if I am correct to point the finger of blame at the dealer? I fully suspect that something was not done correctly when the clutch work was undertaken and this has put undue pressure on the gearbox.
Can anyone help a technically unaware, but very keen Alfa owner, who cannot admit to his mates that he knows little about them darn thingumy whatsits under the bonnet (actually, I suspect my mates are clueless as well).
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Greater London
Re: GT 3.2 gearbox failure

You may have to ask the garage not to touch the car, get an independant report which you may have to pay for and if it proves the failure is as a direct result of the work carried out then you have them by the goolies.

Alternatively pay the bill and small claims court there rear ends, you'll probably still need an independant inspection report.

Maybe someone else could help you more with regards to the technical side, I really hope someone can.

Keep us posted
(Post Link) post #3 of 6 Old 21-04-09 Thread Starter
County: -

Member car:

Many thanks for your post.

I have just finished a sh**ty, yet professional and conciliatory letter to the dealer principle. I have left a nice indicator of their options and hopefully they might realise I will be a pain in the a**se and jump a bit higher. I have indeed threatend them with an independent inspection. If they don't jump high enough then I will send the letter onto the MD of the whole network (they are a large group) and drop the bombshell that they "asked me to hide the facts from Alfa". A smoking gun if i ever saw one. Methinks that might put a certain feline amongst the message carrying dove like birds!

Thanks again for your post. I now feel reved up for an argument tomorrow with a strange Italian man. I will keep you posted.
AO Platinum Member
County: Neath Port Talbot

PM Ned from Autolusso. Personally I doubt it's the diff. More to do with the clutch lever type thing punching through the gearbox. With 3.2's, it usually the clutch fingers that wear, not the cylinders. Hole fire with the dealer unless car is under warranty!
County: Wiltshire

The Gearbox is under warranty as the dealer has just removed it and fitted a clutch, the fact they are "hiding" information from Alfa is that they wanted ARUK to foot the bill for thier cockup, they know they are liable for THE FULL COST of the repair and are hoping that you are niave enough to pay them to do it, they've thrown 3 doubles and like any bad loser are trying to cheat thier way out of jail. Contact ARUK yourself and tell them all the facts, they inform the dealer that they WILL replace your gearbox at THIER expense.
AO Silver Member
155 Lounge Winner 09
County: Victoria

Member car:

GT . 155 . 75

Originally Posted by Squadrone Rosso View Post
More to do with the clutch lever type thing punching through the gearbox. With 3.2's, it usually the clutch fingers that wear, not the cylinders. Hole fire with the dealer unless car is under warranty!
on initial reading, i am thinking the diff. tarrel, the diffs in these gearboxes are a weak link, and they break. many issues with GTAs.

whilst i've not heard of a clutch issue like this, that means nothing. i suppose if you had work done on the clutch, then that definitely makes a clutch-related issue higher on the list.

if it's the diff, then it's just bad luck at the time. perhaps good luck for you, because ordinarily you would not have any contribution from Alfa, or maybe very limited. so if the dealer has offered some compensation - and it's the diff - then that is probably a best case scenario. if the diff's broken, then it would have been a time bomb waiting to go off, and could have happened 500 miles either side of now.

good luck. i'll be interested to hear of updates on what DID happen once they strip it down. and if it's the diff, you want to have the Q2 version fitted. much stronger, and much better performance - research it.

GT . 3.2 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red . Eibach . KONI . ASSO . ATP 19" . TAROX . FERODO . Mille Miglia exhaust
155 . 2.0 8V TS . Grigio Grey - Grey . H&R coilover . Enkei 17" . TAROX . GOODRIDGE . REMUS
75 . 3.0 . Alfa Red - Grey

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

failure , gearbox